UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2020, 12:41 pm   #21
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: Voltage drop on Philips 730A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Glennon View Post
Hi again, The voltage on the heater/ dial bulb winding is 4.6 volts but when I put a 6 volt 300ma bulb across the winding it lit for a few seconds and blew the bulb. Is the winding doing this. Thanks again, Dick.
If you are blowing 6 volt bulbs on a 4 volt supply which is in parallel with the 4 volt valves their heaters would be damaged as well, what meter are you using?
John
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 3:16 pm   #22
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi Johnny, I have just powered up the radio with no valves or dial bulb installed and I measured 4.45 volts on the heater/dial bulb winding. I left the red lead attached with the power supply switched off and the voltage started creeping up on the multimeter. It went up to almost 9volts . This to me might be the reason why the bulb is blowing but I do not know for sure. I now think that I may have to get a new transformer. Would one from a Cossor 484 in anyway suit . It is in a working chassis but the cabinet is long gone. Thanks again , Dick.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 3:24 pm   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

4.45V doesn't sound unreasonable for an unloaded 4V heater supply. It won't hurt a heater short term either- try plugging in all valves except rectifier and measure it again.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 3:28 pm   #24
Station X

With no valves plugged in the LT voltage from the transformer will be high. A load ie the valve heaters is needed to drop the voltage. As explained several times if the voltage was high the heaters would blow as well as the dial lamps.

Have you verified that your meter is accurate and that you have the correct lamps?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 5:28 pm   #25
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Glennon View Post
I left the red lead attached with the power supply switched off and the voltage started creeping up on the multimeter. It went up to almost 9volts .
The above makes no sense to me.
What power supply was switched off?
How can the voltage increase with it switched off.
What is this red lead?

Mike
Closed Thread