UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2021, 10:25 am   #1
simpsons
Octode

Default Tannoy made by Goodmans?

Tannoy UK have, for many years, held a particular following for their concentric tweeter and bass loudspeaker chassis and the associated cabinets. I have the smaller Eaton with a HPD 295A driver.

Now owned by a Chinese company with a cabinet manufacturing plant in Scotland, the attached photo caught my attention and I wonder if Goodmans are manufacturing drivers for the legacy range.

Anyone know and if so, do they meet the standard of the originals?

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	238601  
Old 1st Aug 2021, 10:44 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Tannoy made by Goodmans?

I didn't Goodmans was anything more now than just a a Brand name -ususally applied to Far East low-end audio products.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 12:07 pm   #3
simpsons
Octode

Ouch! Well, on further investigation, the speaker shown is used in the Tannoy Home Theatre Sub Woofer CPA5SB. It compliments the Tannoy CPA 5 "Studio Monitor" which measures 9X6X5 inches!

The sub specification includes 4 units specially made with a response 45Hz-240Hz +/- 3dB. Apparently, it gives you the 1812 complete with cannonballs (twelve pounder)!

In fairness, I have found there are other speakers in the CPA range which are all Contractor speakers for use in sound reinforcement systems and includes a controller with adjustable crossover slope and limiters circuitry aka Bose?

Chris
Old 1st Aug 2021, 3:13 pm   #4
Beobloke
Heptode

The Tannoy CPA-5 was a small monitor loudspeaker that made use of Goodmans’ Inductive Coupling Technology (ICT) where the teeter is actually a shorted turn mounted resiliently on the top of the pole piece, and driven through magnetic induction from the main voice coil. It is not a Dual Concentric unit in the commonly known ‘Tannoy’ sense.

ICT was Goodmans’ proprietary technology but as they and Tannoy were part of TGI Plc (Tannoy Goodmans Industries), they had access to the technology and Goodmans built many drive units for them in their Havant factory. They did the same for some of Martin Audio’s PA speakers who were also part of the group.

With the demise of Goodmans, I think the rights to ICT passed to Tannoy - certain my they appear to have resurrected it for their Revolution XT range a few years back, although they didn’t refer to it as such! I’m not sure what the situation is now - I assume the patents have run out.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:56 pm   #5
duncanlowe
Nonode

Goodmans, for sure became more than one company. There was the company that was a brand name for Argos and others to sell no brand chinese low end consumer goods. But the loudspeaker part of the company survived at least for a while and supplied loudspeakers to unmentionable companies. I don't remember the order, but for a while there was GLL (Goodmans Loudspeakers Limited) and TGL (Tannoy Goodmans Ltd). I think they have both gone now though.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 7:18 pm   #6
dglcomp
Heptode

As for Tannoy ownership/manufacturing, the manufacturing for the high end stuff has been moved to somewhere in Europe after the plant in Coatbridge was due for redevelopment, with the cheaper products being made in the huge Musictribe factory in Zhongzheng (which they encourage you to visit if you are in the area).
I would have thought that the speakers in all their products would be made by Tannoy/Musictribe since the acquisition as that is their thing, I know the speakers for all their other stuff (Behringer/Bugera/Turbosound) are made in house, down to the paper for the cones!
Old 1st Aug 2021, 9:01 pm   #7
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Goodmans, for sure became more than one company. There was the company that was a brand name for Argos and others to sell no brand chinese low end consumer goods. But the loudspeaker part of the company survived at least for a while and supplied loudspeakers to unmentionable companies. I don't remember the order, but for a while there was GLL (Goodmans Loudspeakers Limited) and TGL (Tannoy Goodmans Ltd). I think they have both gone now though.
Goodmans split in the late 1980s. The half that retained the use of the word ‘Goodmans’ written in red was bought by Alba and to this day remains nothing more than a brand name found on all sorts of random Chinese-made tat.

The rest of the company was bought out by the management team and re-born as GLL (Goodmans Loudspeakers Limited). This in turn became part of TGI (Tannoy Goodmans Industries) and included Tannoy, Goodmans, Epos, Mordaunt Short, Martin Audio and Lab Gruppen amplifiers.

At this time, GLL’s core business was OEM car loudspeakers drivers for the likes of Ford, Rover, Land Rover, Bentley and VW, plus GM and Delphi in the USA. They kept making hi-fi loudspeakers until 1998 and these included the final generation of Maxim/Mezzo/Magnum models that were all standmounters, plus three generations of Imagio models that used ICT-based drivers.

Mordaunt Short was sold to Audio Partnership in 1999 and Epos was sold to Creek around the same time. TGI was taken over by the Danish TC Group in the early 2000s, but GLL reached the end of the road in 2005. A sad day for Britain’s oldest loudspeaker manufacturer in my opinion, although I may be slightly biased asi worked there from 2000 until 2003!
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 9:56 pm   #8
Numskull
Diode

B&M Discount stores now own the Goodmans brand.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 10:43 pm   #9
Beobloke
Heptode

B&M have a licence to use the name on their own goods, but Goodmans is still part of Harvard International.
Old 7th Aug 2021, 9:49 pm   #10
Gulliver
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
B&M have a licence to use the name on their own goods, but Goodmans is still part of Harvard International.

Which explains the Goodmans branded cordless house phone I bought from B&M two or three years ago. Decent enough for a phone but not deserving of the Goodmans name.
Old 7th Aug 2021, 10:16 pm   #11
Richard_FM
Octode

I've got a set of Goodmans speakers that my Dad bought from Richer Sounds in Stockport in 1990 that are still working fine.