UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2021, 1:52 pm   #1
Scotorvm
Pentode

Default Latest DAC90A restoration - worked first time powered on, unusual for me :-0

Thought I would post this restoration.

A DAC90A set, hopefully not boring as I know a lot of these have been posted.

The set appears to have had a partial restore from A.N. Other.

Fitted the missing cap across the mains, fitted the missing mains plug pins. (Thanks Norman).

The mains dropper resistor appears to be the grey type, I think Bob was enquiring re this on another post. My other DAC90A this resistor is green.

Replaced the waxies that were not replaced and also a few 0.25w resistors that looked like they were being toasted.

Surprisingly all the valves are working - which is a real bonus as these can be expensive.

Case polished with Greygate paste number 5. A nice fully working set.

PS. All info, hints and tips were gleaned from this forum, thankyou guy's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before chassis.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	235837   Click image for larger version

Name:	before under chassis.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	235838   Click image for larger version

Name:	after under chassis.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	235839   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	235840   Click image for larger version

Name:	after (2).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	235841  

Old 13th Jun 2021, 2:32 pm   #2
bobhowe
Heptode

Default Re: Latest DAC90A restoration - worked first time powered on, unusual for me :-0

Hi nice looking set the main big smoothing capacitor will have a date on it if it has not been replaced loosen the clamp screw and lift it up. slightly and you will see the date my set is March 1952 kind regards Bob
Old 13th Jun 2021, 4:47 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Latest DAC90A restoration - worked first time powered on, unusual for me :-0

It looks lovely you have done a real good job on that! wasn't the early dropper the grey one - green ones fitted to later production sets?

Rich
Old 13th Jun 2021, 5:35 pm   #4
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi Rich.

I read years ago (cannot remember where) that early sets did have did have the grey dropper I have started a new thread on it:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=181058

Kind regards, Bob.

Last edited by Station X; 13th Jun 2021 at 5:40 pm. Reason: Link added.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 7:03 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done, that looks nice!

Still one of my favourite sets to restore, and very usable too (so long as you like R4LW).
Old 13th Jun 2021, 8:33 pm   #6
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
It looks lovely you have done a real good job on that! wasn't the early dropper the grey one - green ones fitted to later production sets?

Rich
Thanks Rich, Gave my son the job of polishing the case, must admit it looks better than the set I polished, Bob gave me the heads up re dating the set, the main cap is dated July 1953, not sure then what date the green dropper emerged.

Cheers
Lee
Old 13th Jun 2021, 8:36 pm   #7
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Well done, that looks nice!

Still one of my favourite sets to restore, and very usable too (so long as you like R4LW).
It's a great set to work on Nick, works almost as well as the Roberts Rambler - no external aerial, listening to it in the garden
Old 13th Jun 2021, 8:51 pm   #8
murphyv310
Dekatron

You'll have a great signal from Westerglen in Falkirk.
The beauty of the DAC90A is its most probably the easiest set to restore.
Mind Pin 4 of the UL41 is an anchor point and anything connected to this pin should should be removed (I just snip the connection close to the base and let it float) as it can increase anode current that can blow the primary of the audio output transformer, the reason is internal leaks in the UL41.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 9:01 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I'll never tire of DAC90/DAC90A threads, they are sets that evoke memories of my childhood.

Yours has come up shinier than either of mine, I must invest in a tube of that Greygate paste number 5. Is it true it's good for electrical contacts as well as Bakelite? Seems a strange claim.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 9:05 pm   #10
bobhowe
Heptode

One of many of best of British design at the time what was available after the war & were the assembled mostly by women ? . Wonder how long it took to make one from start to finish kind regards Bob
Old 13th Jun 2021, 9:10 pm   #11
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
You'll have a great signal from Westerglen in Falkirk.
The beauty of the DAC90A is its most probably the easiest set to restore.
Mind Pin 4 of the UL41 is an anchor point and anything connected to this pin should should be removed (I just snip the connection close to the base and let it float) as it can increase anode current that can blow the primary of the audio output transformer, the reason is internal leaks in the UL41.
Thanks Trevor, you have me worried now, didn't know about snipping that connection. Do you have a pic of the connection to cut.

Westerglen is really close as the crow fly's, nice signal

Cheers
Lee
Closed Thread