UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2021, 10:26 pm   #1
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Default That "fuf fuf fuf pop" noise....

Hi All,
This noise with the valve sets will be familiar to all, but I've never looked into it.
It's a posh-looking HMV radiogram, playing through the PU input,and I've removed the "radio" section valves. I'm thinking capacitor, of course, but does the team have any more specific suggestions ?
With thanks John
Old 6th Mar 2021, 10:56 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: That "fuf fuf fuf pop" noise....

It's motorboating. If it is still doing it with just the audio amplifier operating then it is either a bad HT smoothing capacitor (this usually manifests as hum rather than motorboating) or a decoupling capacitor on the HT feed to a pre-amp triode valve. You need to tell us what the model number is to make any more informed judgement. Cheers, Jerry
Old 6th Mar 2021, 11:04 pm   #3
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Default Re: That "fuf fuf fuf pop" noise....

Many thanks Jerry, it's a HMV 1628 as it 'appens, but I'll download a trader and trace that decoupler you've mentioned. Cheers John
Closed Thread