UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2017, 9:00 am   #61
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Multiband shortwave radio from Tesco.

Well if these radios induce some modicum of 'curiosity' in SW listening then in my books they should be made mandatory purchases!

Those that find they can't hear anything will question 'why' and maybe start on the learning slope about propagation, sunspots etc.

Radio is fascinating whether it's a case of restoration or the actual USE of the thing......
Old 7th Oct 2017, 12:11 pm   #62
raditechman
Heptode

Could not resist so I went and got one this morning. That makes 11 radios now in my living room!.
At least it is small.
I was surprised that at the quoted 200mw rms audio out it sounds quite loud.

John.
Old 7th Oct 2017, 12:43 pm   #63
Richard_FM
Octode

I was impressed by mine managing to tune in Smooth Radio on 100.4 MHz, normally blotted out by Radio 1 or Classic FM inside.

My VQ Hepburn has trouble getting it even with the ariel pointing East & near a window.
Old 7th Oct 2017, 3:42 pm   #64
Damo666
Hexode

I've occasionally found a couple of stations on the 1st band and 2nd of 21 and 17 Mhz in the early morning, but nothing later on in the day.

I've found the bands with frequencies below 14 Mhz are better at night, and the bands with frequencies above about 14 Mhz are alive and best during the day from the last Week or so of listening.
Old 7th Oct 2017, 4:53 pm   #65
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Well that was fun, a quite well executed design, I have seen and used worse for twice the price. I am not going to bother putting it together again, a couple of hours entertainment (funny people engineers) for eight quid, worth getting for dismantling and inspecting alone.
I generally buy an unusual design piece, take it apart and then reassemble it, after looking it over.
Looking over the schematic from the chip supplier, it shows a different symbol for the tuning pot or variable device. The volume pot has the standard symbol.
Closed Thread