UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2020, 10:08 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Sobell 516

This is my latest restoration completed: a Sobell 516. When I got it, it was derelict: the chassis covered with rust and the case in several parts. It had obviously got seriously wet at some time as the veneer was lifting and the main case badly distorted. Some idiot had got at the chassis and "repaired" it - I found several wrong components and several parts missing, including V4 grid leak. Several of the replacement parts were incorrect as to either value or voltage rating, and the smoothing electrolytics were open circuit. All the valves were either knackered or missing, fortunately I had suitable replacements in stock.

However, I always enjoy a challenge. If this had been a 'quality' pre-war set I'd have stripped it and had the chassis sandblasted, but I didn't feel it was worth doing that for a late-40s woodie, so I just cleaned it up and gave it a coat of aluminium paint. The case was in a bad state; there was no way it was going to re-assemble perfectly without soaking it and clamping it round a mould. But I got it within a few millimetres, with the help of PVA adhesive and some clamps borrowed from my neighbour.

The card back was distorted and most of the top broken away: I patched it using an odd one I had to hand, carefully cut to size and with the parts glued and stapled.

Anyway, here are the results! It works well now, pulling in stations happily on all three ranges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sob_516 (3).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	213767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sob_516 (10).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	213768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sob_516 (12).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	213769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sob_516 (13).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	213770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sob_516 (16).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	213771  

Last edited by kestrelmusic; 17th Aug 2020 at 10:10 pm. Reason: incomplete
Old 18th Aug 2020, 12:04 am   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Sobell 516

That's impressive, given the sad history Kestrel. My Grandmother gave me one of those when I was about twelve. I wanted something more "Scientific looking so I removed the [Bakelite] case but kept it well preserved. I wanted to listen on SW but didn't realise that I needed to add an aerial [MW and LW were lively without one]. When I finally inserted a few yards of wire into the socket I could get the Voice of America/Gander/Russia and New York. I was delighted!

Dave W

Oh yes and before that, it wasn't working when my Gran handed it over. The 5Z4G rectifier was a black US metal can job so I couldn't see the heater. All the other valves lit up and my dad had brought a radio chassis home one night. I noticed there was a 5Z4G in that one. I changed them over and the Sobell revived-Great Joy!

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th Aug 2020 at 12:12 am.
Old 8th Sep 2020, 12:50 pm   #3
MurphyNut
Heptode

Very nice, you've done a great job, you can't beat a big wooden cabinet for sound quality and presence! I have the 615 from about the same time.
Old 10th Sep 2020, 11:09 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Congratulations! That’s quite an impressive set.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread