UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2020, 9:31 am   #1
Cobbles86
Diode

Default Dansette Major Volume Issue

I've recently purchased a Dansette Major which was in perfect working order (the seller sent me numerous videos) during transportation I believe something has happened to the sound. When i have tried it, there is no sound coming through the speakers, however i can hear low music.

There is a slight hum to the speaker but only when I put my hear to it.

I don't have a huge amount of experience, but is there anything I can check myself before speaking to someone about a fix.

Other than this issue, it is in beautiful condition, so would love to use it.

Thanks,
Old 27th Nov 2020, 10:10 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Dansette Major Volume Issue

It might be a simple as a valve having been nudged out of its socket. There should be
a panel behind the speaker held on by 2 or 4 screws. removing this will allow you to
inspect the amplifier where the valve is plugged in.
I have just restored a Major Deluxe 21.
Old 27th Nov 2020, 10:16 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Major Volume Issue

That faint sound you are hearing is "stylus chatter". Check the two connecting tags at the rear of the cartridge for a tight fit. Touch these leads where the metal contacts are (volume on full) and if you hear a loud buzz then the amp is working OK. The cartridge may have fractured during transit. Please advise.