UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2020, 1:07 pm   #1
bobster151
Diode

Default Garrard RC80 - autochange issue

Hi,

I work in IT so am technical to a certain degree but I don't understand a lot of the terminology used here so please be gentle

I have a Ferguson 401RG radiogram with this turntable. It used to work Ok but intermittently had the issue with the stylus hitting the record then immediately rejecting similar to in this post

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...43&postcount=4

I'm thinking it must be just a small adjustment needed somewhere but I don't know where to start. I have the service manual so if someone can point me to what I should be looking at that controls this function I would be immensely grateful.

cheers,

Bob
Old 24th Nov 2020, 2:07 pm   #2
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Garrard RC80 - autochange issue

Hi Bob,

You’re background is the same as mine, IT and technology initially, and now anything electro mechanical

Has this deck ever been mechanically overhauled? And if so, was it done properly? Every changer will need this at some point.

It’s not as hard as it sounds, I’ve learned how to do it myself through reading advice on here, and just getting stuck in and being persistent.

In summary, a fair bit of dismantling and taking pictures as you go (to aid re-assembly), cleaning off the old grease and oil, and selective reapplying of the right stuff during reassembly. Remember too much can be as bad as too little. Technically a lot of these decks will run ok dry, but obviously you want to minimise wear...

Be prepared to either find identically sized food cans to support the edge of the deck while you test it, or knock up a jig so you can work the mech by hand and watching what it is doing in some form.
I’ve never made a jig, but being able to film what is happening with your phone from underneath is useful.

Some parts, like the trip pawl and slider should be clean and free to move as easily as possible.

I don’t know the specific model of deck, I’m sure others will though. To me it sounds like part of the auto trip mechanism is sticking and not moving back correctly, so I’d have a look there. See if you can locate a service manual

Best of luck
Adam

PS. Looking at that deck online, it looks to be a fair bit different to the ones I’ve done in the autoslim family. But I expect the problem will still come down to dried up lubricants
Old 24th Nov 2020, 2:42 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Garrard RC80 is far more complex than Plessey's value-engineered Autoslim chassis.
There are many more linkages and more opprtunity for drag on the slider and levers.
Do check for excess hardned grease near the tone-arm trip linkages.
Old 24th Nov 2020, 2:55 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

The RC80 is very different to more 'modern' autochange decks. The fault is due to the trip pawl being 'sticky'. This part of the mechanism is completely different to most later decks, but the way it works is exactly the same. Read up on how the trip pawl (or velocity trip) works - there's full instructions in the 'how-to' sticky threads at the top of the page, and apply this to what you've got in your deck. The trip pawl relies on friction, so the sliding contact surface must be completely dry and clean and free from any oil or grease. In the RC80 it's a little pad that slides on a smooth surface, seen after removing the turntable/platter - there's an adjusting screw on it, but this should be left alone unless it's known to have previously been messed with, as the likely cause will be over 65 years worth of gunge! So, read up on the workings of the trip pawl and then study what's on your deck and apply the theory to what you've got there.
Old 24th Nov 2020, 4:03 pm   #5
bobster151
Diode

Thanks guys, I will investigate the trip pawl and see where I get to!

Is this the thread I should be concentrating on?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=112708
Old 24th Nov 2020, 4:52 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, that thread is a useful read to gain some basic principles. But if you already have the RC80 Manual, then do not allow yourself to be distracted by this.
As I said the RC80 is far more complex than the Autoslim. Start off by studying the exploded views.
Old 24th Nov 2020, 6:07 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

I think this thread is the one I was thinking of (below), although the RC80 and its variants are nothing like any of these later decks, but the principle of operation remains the same. There's also some more linkage beneath the deck plate, including that cam gear, so they can be very awkward to work on for a major service. Remember, a drop or two of clock or sewing machine oil (not 3 in 1, it spreads everywhere and has undesirable 'gummy' additives) on the moving parts, but NOT on the trip friction sliding surfaces. Anyone who worked on these decks when they first came out would have to be in their late 80s or 90s by now.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8936
Old 24th Nov 2020, 6:25 pm   #8
bobster151
Diode

Thanks very much all for your help, something for me to work through.
Old 24th Nov 2020, 6:35 pm   #9
electrogram
Heptode

The problem is on the underside of the deck. The "bent coat hanger" goes through a pivoted plate which controls another lever which initiates the cycle, this latter lever is held in place by a step on the pivoted plate. When tripped coat hanger moves plate, releasing lever from step on plate. Plate, which is controlled by a light spring, must not bind on its pivot, or where coat hanger passes through it. Also coat hanger must not bind in its retaining hasps on upper side of deck.
Old 24th Nov 2020, 6:56 pm   #10
Techman
Dekatron

I agree with regards to the linkage described on the underside. You'll soon work it out once you understand the basics of the operation. It sounds like the whole deck needs a good service.
Old 26th Nov 2020, 1:24 am   #11
Michael Maurice

Whenever I service these decks, I only dismantle a section at a time, clean, relube and refit. Unlike later auto slims where is dismantle to a bare chassis., I personally would not put oil everywhere, I use a synthetic grease which works well.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 28th Nov 2020, 9:47 pm   #12
bobster151
Diode

Hi electrogram, I've had a closer look at this, are you saying that you think the plate on the underside of the deck is binding to its pivot which may be fixed with oiling?
Old 30th Nov 2020, 4:17 am   #13
electrogram
Heptode

It might be, you should be able to feel if it is binding, a bit of light oil usually works .also where the coat hanger goes through the plate, remove coat hanger, clean it, also its retainng hasp above deck, and the hole it goes through in the plate below deck, a dot of light oil in hole
Old 30th Nov 2020, 1:31 pm   #14
bobster151
Diode

Thanks, will give it a go.
Closed Thread