UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 6:58 pm   #1
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Default Marantz CD-84

Hi all,

I have a Marantz cd-84 cd player with a distortion on one channel.Today i opened it up and looked at is and did not see strange things.I want to make this player play well again but not break it more For that i have enough other players.Are there simple things to look at? I made a short sound recording where you can hear the distortion on one channel.If you can use balance it is clear the distortion is from one channel.The recording is pretty loud.Is this a typical sound for something?If i manage to follow the path using the scematics can i test things inboard?Have to work on it tomorrow at daylight because my vision is not good enough now.Are there any suggestions?

Leon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3889.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	178885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3890.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	178886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3892.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	178887  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Geluidsopname 1.zip (201.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 1:15 am   #2
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Default Re: Marantz CD-84

I came to this add.This is crazy right?It is not my goal to make money out of things.I want to learn things so i can make a job out of my passion
http://www.audioscope.net/marantz-cd...890.html?ref=3
I am in good contact with the seller of my past receiver i bought.I was lucky and he is happy for me.This cd player i bought as a set and the seller comes over when i restored it.
Why those crazy prices?In this video you see where it went wrong.I made the video of a small cd player for someone who wanted proof it was working.The bids went sky high.And the Philips "Black Tulip" set i liked and sold it for 10 times i payed and 5 times less it's worth for freaks :-(
https://vimeo.com/254312625
It's crazy.We all like a bargain but why those prices?
Old 24th Feb 2019, 4:14 pm   #3
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Hi Leon,

A quick analysis on your audio sample shows quite significant distortion on the right channel. See attached.

Perhaps I would be inclined to start checking pin voltage around Q526 (JRC4560) op-amp and circuitry with a DVM etc. Assume power supplies are correct?

Also noted there is slight clipping on the left channel, but this may actually be intended

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz cd84-1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	178971  
Old 26th Feb 2019, 12:47 am   #4
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Hi,sorry for my late reply,i met some nice girl this weekend
Rich,what you are asking is abacadabra for me now.Before i ask any more questions i go find out what your talking about.I go learn that.
The recording was too high so it might be the other channel is ok.First i go find ot what you telling me to look for.If i succeed we look further if there is any things on the other channel.Thanks,i go look into it.

Leon
Closed Thread