UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 3:27 pm   #1
John_54
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage test equipment: Is it of interest to anyone here?

Hello,

I came across this forum whilst looking for ways to dispose of my late father's collection of amateur radio and test equipment. Quite a lot of it is vintage as he was always interested in the older gear.

I'd like to know if this equipment is of interest to anyone here because I'd like it to go to a good home, rather than to the tip.

As an example I have an Avo Valve Characteristic Meter Mk IV. A bit of online research revealed that, on the rare occasions that these things are sold, they fetch surprisingly high prices. That tells me that some people somewhere have a use for it. I was wondering if the members of this forum might be amongst those people.

If you guys don't want this gear then I'll probably put it on Ebay for a week or two. If it doesn't sell then, more than likely, it will end up at the tip, which would be a pity.

If anyone here expresses interest then I'll post a list of the other test equipment that I have, assuming that that is acceptable to the moderators. I do realize that the purpose of the site is not primarily for buying and selling.

Thanks for reading this.

John
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 4:09 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage test equipment: Is it of interest to anyone here?

Hello John and welcome.
It goes without saying that your late Father's equipment will be of interest to many here. As you acknowledge, we are a forum first and foremost, and although we do have a sale section, we have strict rules (found necessary unfortunately).
A list, preferably illustrated, would be appreciated so that members can give advice on values and the best way to proceed.
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 6:53 pm   #3
gingpeakin
Hexode

It's also worth remembering that we don't own this stuff as much as look after it for future generations to enthuse about and to admire the work that went into making it in the first place...

Ging
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:49 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

The AVO valve characteristic meters have fetched remarkably high prices on Ebay... I've seen them go for thousands and I've seen vendors stick >£3000 buy it now prices on. Thirty years ago they were junk and being dumped because 'no-one was bothered with valves'

Times changed and valves have become very fashionable in hifi and guitarists really like their effect on the sound of over-driven amplifiers. There is strong competition for any AVO VCM coming on the market. the MarkIV and the VCM163 are the tops in popularity.

However, there is a problem. The meter movements in these instruments are very fragile and have no effective protection from misuse, accidents and trying to test damaged valves. They need to be operated carefully. Trying to do a test starting on the wrong range can ram the pointer hard and fast against the end stop and possibly burn out the coil of extremely fine wire inside them. These meters are irreplaceable, and a lot of ingenuity has been expended in trying to make alternatives work. They never look like the original, and most of the financial value of the VCM is wiped out.

It sounds like your father had it for some time, so it was probably used properly and is a survivor. To realise the full potential on Ebay, if you choose that route, it needs to be known to be in full working order which means checking over by someone familiar with driving one.

I speak from experience. As a kid I had an AVO VCM, bought with my birthday present money £10 back in the late sixties. The meter failed, and I suspect it was my fault.

Other test equipment of this era is in general not particularly valuable. Signal generators, oscilloscopes etc go for spare cash sort of prices. Some very high performance equipment from the eighties and nineties can stretch the budget but needs seeing in proportion. A few years ago I paid about £800 for a very special lab-grade spectrum analyser which was rather a lot of money for me, but that instrument had cost well over $100,000 when it was new in the late nineties. So the depreciation rate is pretty dramatic.... and compare that £800 to what 1950s valve testers now cost.

Hope this sets a sort of scale for you, but for us to get more specific, makes, models and photos are needed.

David
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 9:20 am   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi john and welcome. The test gear will certainlt be of interest and appreciated here. The valve tester will certainly fetch a higher price on e-bay.
A listing of items would be useful as would details of any spares, books, sets that your father had and could be of interest to the members here.

Cheers, Ed
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 11:25 am   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

I'll echo Ed's point about documentation - Please don't dump Handbooks, Manuals & Circuit Diagrams which you may find. Perhaps you could kindly add them to the list of equipment which other guys have recommended. Bit of fannying about, I know, but a list would be most appreciated.
You could also try & contact a Forum member or two who live nearby, and see if they could assist & advise you in your clearance efforts.
Yep, an AVO VCM MK4 is worth mega bucks these days, on eBay & other internet sites. But, and its a big but, the AVO range of VCM's meters are prone to damage & hellish expensive to replace. VCM's can also suffer mains transformer & calibration problems. Best to get it checked out.
Also, the BVWS(British Vintage Wireless Society), to which many Forum guys are members, hold regular Auctions & Swap-Meets, and could be another disposal channel open to you for your late Father's items. Likewise - VMARS - particularly for vintage Amateur Radio equipment.

Regards, David
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 12:42 pm   #7
stuarth
Heptode

I used to live not far from Bath, and would have been prepared to look over your stuff, including paperwork, but unfortunately I've moved to Lancashire, a bit far for a day trip!
Perhaps some other forum member could offer an hour or so of their time to advise on how best to dispose of it.
I suspect some items, like the AVO VCM, would give you the greatest financial return on ebay, much of the paperwork will have little commercial value, but would be tremendously useful to some of the folk on here.
The BVWS have regular auctions of "old" stuff at Royal Wootton Bassett, not far from Bath.

Stuart
Old 24th Feb 2019, 1:08 am   #8
1980s_john
Tetrode

John,
Sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks for asking on this forum for help with finding new homes for your father's collection of gear, I'm sure all of it would be saleable or wanted by someone. Even bundles or old components or broken equipment or spare parts can be useful to someone somewhere. Ebay does offer an easy route to a vast number of potential buyers, I hope you have some experience there as like in any market there are some scams.

Good luck with your endeavours, note there is an 'Offered and wanted' section in this forum, but it has strict rules (such as no auctions) so please be mindful.
Regards,
John
Old 25th Feb 2019, 12:00 am   #9
AndyGilham
Pentode

John, I am sorry to your loss, but it's fantastic to hear you want to pass your late father's equipment on to an enthusiast.
I work for Avo/Megger and am company historian, and would be interesting in any Avo or Eveshed and Vignoles instruments for our museum. Please PM me if you have a list of anything suitable. Our museum is growing and adding to the collection is always welcome.

Andy
Old 25th Feb 2019, 8:28 am   #10
Radio Wrangler

One thought...

There are people carefully restoring all sorts of old military gear, like the T1154/R1155 radios from WWII bombers, 19 sets from tanks and so on. They were available dead cheap in the 50s and 60s,, seen as things to begin with, or strip for parts. Odd things like cables and connectors for them weren't seen as desirable or useful (unless you were restoring a Lancaster or a tank!) so they got binned. Some of these things still come to light when old radio shacks are cleared out. They don't have any great value, but can be the thing that has someone's project stalled. Some of the things that look like absolute junk might be just what someone somewhere is looking for.

Closing down someone's old shack, finding new homes for stuff and collections is a sad thing we all have to do from time to time, and will, in turn have to be done for us. I hope he had a good life and got some fun out of his gear. My father's been sorting out a load of old photos and scrap book stuff about his dad.... driving the first bus into Barnsley at the start of the Yorkshire Traction co (Became National Express) WWI in India. Turning down an offer of a partnership with Samual Fox, then an umbrella maker of Stocksbridge! all sorts of things I never knew he'd got up to. As the sense of loss gets less immediate, a new layer of appreciation grows.

David
Old 25th Feb 2019, 3:00 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

The OP hasn't re-visited the open forum since post 3, so may have had his query answered?
Closed Thread