UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2019, 11:28 pm   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Making your own Metal Labels

Hi All

I'm restoring a control unit for a Link Trainer restoration and the original labels are very pitted and can't be cleaned.

So how can I make a replacement? It's circular with black print on silver. The metal is about 0.5mm thick.

I can get one made professionally but with a minimum order charge I think that I could pay the same to set up my own system and then churn out more as I want them!

So, even though I have Googled for a while nothing useful is surfacing, can any of you guys recommend any system that you have used, have seen or can recommend?

Cheers
James
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 4:29 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Making your own Metal Labels

Is the lettering either raised or below the surface?

If neither, then it is likely just screen printed, google for home screen printing kits.

If the lettering is raised, then it is either punched or etched. Etching can be done at home depending on the base metal but your talking nasty chemicals etc.

Then if the lettering is below the surface, you are probably talking engraved and then painted.
Needs engraving machine, 3 axis cnc or similar.

Your going to be needing a lot of labels to cover the cost of any of the above.
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 8:20 am   #3
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Terry

Thanks, I've had a quick look at screen printing. The dial is printed, no raised or lowered surfaces.

The graphic is really fine, 360 degrees for a radio direction pointer and only 75mm across, I suppose that you could get very fine screen weave for something like that?

However, I really don't mind nasty chemicals being one of my childhood hobbies. I once extracted sodium metal on my mums cooker with molten causic soda and my dads power supply.... I was a lucky child. But if only I had used a CO2 environment the sodium would not have re-oxidised. Roll on retirement....

The bit that I wasn't getting was transferring a design to something that would 'resist', either stopping ink going through a hole or keeping chemicals at bay. So I now find that you can get paint-on photo resist. So paint that onto the metal/screen, print the image onto a transparency and contact expose it? Now either squeege ink on or drop into an etch bath.

My early PCB experiments resulted in jagged edges and the screen sounds a little imprecise too but I guess that it would have to be down to technique because really nice labels are made all the time.

The quotes I was getting were in the hundreds of pounds, quoted as minimum order quantities. I'd still go for a commercial service if it were sub £50. One of the issues is that the label is circular, not easy to cut at home.

Still happy to have a company recommended.

Cheers
James
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 8:32 am   #4

Letraset? If it can still be found.

This?
https://www.madaboutink.co.uk/brushe...sabegj1i_d_bwe

Old 22nd Aug 2019, 8:56 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

They used to have machines on railway stations for making metal labels - about 70 years ago. I think they have one at Beamish museum.

Peter
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 9:42 am   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

They did indeed, but the result didn't in any way resemble a professionally made equipment label! More like a metal version of the old Dymo labels...………

Andy
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 9:47 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I guess that the originals will have been anodised aluminium created with UV. Some years ago I think it was 3M that supplied the materials - the UV light box I use for PCBs was made for that purpose and has the exposure times on the control panel. It wasn't a cheap process and seemed to go out of vogue quite quickly.

I have a little Nombrex R/C Bridge with a panel that I guess was printed that way.

The labels looked similar to the red & blue examples here, which are produced by modern processes:

http://www.tcenameplates.co.uk/Alumi...hoCcc8QAvD_BwE

Commercially made labels are really out of the question. Due to the set-up costs the minimum order quantity will mostly be 100, and will typically cost upwards of £500 + VAT, so I think you're confined to a DIY approach. The paper at the link in post #5 looks promising. The other option would be either ink-jet or laser water-slide decal paper, which produces durable transfers on either clear or white paper. Black print on clear paper looks fine on a sold background. (Hopeless for trying to create glass 'see through' radio dials for sets suh as DAC90As etc).

The better the printer, the better will be the finished result.

I've found that paper from 'Mr Decal Paper' widely advertised on eBay and Amazon produces good results.

The label on the re-stuffed smoothing cap below is an ink-jet waterslide transfer printed on clear film.

Good luck in your quest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front View_edited-1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	188708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoothing cap can with waterslide tranfer.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	188709  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 9:48 am   #8
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

James,
I have exactly the same problem in that I want to make/source replica Air Ministry labels, the rectangular brass type with recessed areas filled with black paint. I'm guessing that the original 'blanks' were pressed, and then particular text engraved.

Andy
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 10:32 am   #9
BRASSBITS
Hexode

How about water slide transfers?
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 12:13 pm   #10
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Your dial would have been screen printed.

Have a look here for an idea of starter kits and with a bricks and mortar presence, you can at least go and look at this stuff and get some help in sorting out what you need and possibly some tuition.

https://www.cassart.co.uk/craft/printing/screen-print
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 1:32 pm   #11
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I've found this place: https://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/. They don't reveal any prices but seem geared to one-offs for restorations rather than big production runs.
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 1:41 pm   #12
John M0GLN
Octode

Is it possible to 3D print one say 0.5mm thick with 0.25 mm deep letters, spray it silver and fill in the letters with black paint? I've never done any 3D printing or know much about it so I may be talking rubbish.

John
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 2:36 pm   #13
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi All

Thanks for the replies!

Merlin, I'll attach a pic of the dial, letraset would be a nightmare!

Peter N, I had a few of those when I was a kid, but again they would not work for this label

David/Brassbits, Mr Decal water slides look interesting

Terry, screen printing does seem like a good option

ThePillenwerfer, That looks like exactly the people I want to talk to!

John M0GLN, Thinking outside the box there, it might be possible to print labels in two colours, backing layer then a coloured layer sort of traffolex (?). The plastic may not take paint well. Have to admit I have failed miserably to fill letters in that sort of label

I'll report back!

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-22_14-34-23.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	188723  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 3:05 pm   #14
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
They did indeed, but the result didn't in any way resemble a professionally made equipment label! More like a metal version of the old Dymo labels...………
Hi Andy

Dymo did indeed have a very heavy duty chrome plated version
of their hand operated machine called the Dymomite which embossed
aluminium tapes like the old pierhead/fairground machines.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 9:13 pm   #15
buggies
Heptode

https://jlcpcb.com
(For example) will produce 5 off 100mm x 100mm x 0.6mm thick pcbs single sided pcbs for £1.63 plus £4.14 postage.
I don't know if you can specify no solder resist.
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 10:13 pm   #16
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
They used to have machines on railway stations for making metal labels ...
Which still exist

https://www.dymo-express.co.uk/dymo-...-embosser.html

£200 + VAT
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 7:13 am   #17
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Indeed, but I would suggest they are completely inappropriate for labelling electronic equipment, never mind replicating a vintage label.
Horses for courses.....

Andy
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 7:45 am   #18
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi All

If you look at the image of the unit I am restoring in post 14 you can see the wrinkle finish on the front. I'm happy to say that this morning I am the proud father of a fully wrinkled front panel! It wasn't last night as there were large 'flat' parts to it. As my dad always said 'leave it to dry......'

Also sent off for quote from the antique labels guy.

Cheers
James
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 9:46 am   #19
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I know the quality of these of the railway printers was poor, but it was brilliant at the time, I used to spend some of my pocket money them, the one at Bromley South station was where I got mine.

I still have a Dymo Tape printer but that I used for labelling my component drawers but a while back now I bought a 'Brother GL100' machine which makes very passable labels, I'm sure you have probably seen them, they print on a thin layer of white plastic sandwiched between layers of clear plastic and are self adhesive, I have used them for some years now and they have proved very durable.

Peter
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 8:09 pm   #20
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm guessing that the originals would have been UV-masked and then etched [this was the standard technology from the mid-1940s onwards].

My #1 approach would be to see if there's still someone in your nearest town who does sports-trophies - they are generally more acquainted with things like the 'new' 1950s/60s Traffolyte-engraved stuff but they might just know someone who could take your artwork and still do the old UV-photo-and-pickle-etch stuff.
Closed Thread