UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2014, 7:29 am   #1
sooperrio
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ambassador 545

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, I am looking for advice, so I hope you can help me!

I have inherited my dad's old Ambassador 545 radio/gramophone.

Unfortunately, it was stored in his shed and is looking worse for wear.
I would love to get it back to working order, but have absolutely no idea where to start.
Is it possible to replace all the parts on an old radio, if so, where do I start?

I realise this is a huge question, but I am a newbie, and at this moment, the project looks insurmountable!

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador front.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	94610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador Back.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	94611  
Old 29th Jun 2014, 10:43 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Ambassador 545

Welcome to the forum Sooperrio

Please pay particular attention to your safety there are lethal voltages inside these old sets.

I would start here

Paul has the service information for the Radio version here

Once you have made an assessment and carried out the basic checks the membership here will guide you through the process of restoring a nice little tabletop gram.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 29th Jun 2014 at 10:45 am. Reason: Added safety info
Old 29th Jun 2014, 10:50 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

That set doesn't look in bad condition TBH. You should see the condition of some of the sets that enthusiasts tackle!

Best of luck. Keep us informed, and ask questions.
Old 29th Jun 2014, 10:50 am   #4
Andrewausfa
Octode

I don't know about worse for wear, it looks in good condition! Mike's just posted what I'd started to type out but so people can help you, what, if any, knowledge do you have and what tools are available to you? Do you have a safe multimeter?

Andrew
Old 29th Jun 2014, 11:16 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I would also say it looks in very good condition from here, although I appreciate it may have been much nicer still before it was relegated to the shed.

I suspect it will be "easy" to restore, but note that if you're starting from scratch, you need to take things one step at a time and be prepared to spend a good few days on it to get it running reliably and safely.

N.
Old 29th Jun 2014, 12:34 pm   #6
sooperrio
Retired Dormant Member

Hi everyone

Thank you for your quick responses, really appreciated!
I most certainly will take my time with it, and no doubt will be picking your brains from now on.
I am pleased to learn that it doesn't look insurmountable to your experienced eyes!

Thank you, once again, for pointing me in the right direction.

Speak soon!
Old 30th Jun 2014, 7:39 pm   #7
sooperrio
Retired Dormant Member

Hello everyone once again,

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains, but I have managed to get the 'doings' (or is the technical terms 'bobbins"? ) out of The Ambassador.

I couldn't see anything other than dust and grime, which I wiped off.
My mum told me the last time it was plugged in it began to 'smoke', so I know there is a fault with the set.

If I posted some pictures, please could you have a quick look and give me their considered opinion on the general status of the 'doings'?

Thank you.

Oh, one other thing, when I lifted the workings out, a small, cylindrical object, about 20mm long & 5mm diameter fell out.
It has what looks like silver foil at either end of the tube.
To be honest, I first thought it was a 'tab end' from a cigarette!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ambassador inside.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	94683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador inside 2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	94684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador underneath.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	94685  
Old 30th Jun 2014, 10:53 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

The even more technical term is a "Chassis"
The data for this Table Radiogram is here: http://www.service-data.com/section.php/584/1/545h.
That item looks like a capacitor, but the photo is a bit indistinct. Probably C27, the mains filter, which is likely where the smoke came from causing it to be retired to the shed.

Before you use the radio some, probably all, the paper capacitors will need replacing and definitely C21 (do a forum search for "that capacitor" as it is nicknamed here.
Old 30th Jun 2014, 11:17 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've attached an annotated picture showing a few potential problems.

The overheated resistors suggest the set has run for a time with excessive current, (probably caused by a leaky wax/paper capacitor feeding audio from the preamplifier valve to the output valve). They may (or more likely may not) still be OK.

The wax/paper capacitors I can see I've marked with red crosses. They will probably all need to be replaced by plastic film types with similar capacitance values and same or higher voltage ratings.

The loose one, blue cross, is as already suggested, probably one that was originally connected across the mains. They are well known for going bang when they fail- there are modern capacitors designed specially for this use which are known as X-type suppression capacitors which are designed not to go bang!

A suggestion- rotate the tuning so that the moving vanes on the tuning capacitor are fully meshed with the fixed vanes. It will make them less likely to be damaged accidentally whilst working on the chassis.

Edit: Just noticed an error in the Service data C27 is described as Electrolytic- it most definitely isn't!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ambassador underneath.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	94698  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Jul 2014, 5:19 am   #10
sooperrio
Retired Dormant Member

Bill, Chris,

Thank you so much for your help on this.

Really, really appreciated.

I have bought the Service Data sheet, Chris, thank you for spotting an error.

Gray (sooperrio)
Old 1st Jul 2014, 2:05 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

There's also one on the layout. Two R23s and no R24, you'll need to trace the wiring.
Your photo shows three large resistors, in that area, another anomaly.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 3:37 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

When changing those resistors and capacitors, don't try to unsolder them, but cut them out out leaving their wire leads as long as possible and still soldered in place in the radio (so the components you cut out have little or no leads left on them). Then, using some fine nosed (preferably round nosed) pliers, form the wire leads of your new components into a wire 'tube' a few strands wide, then insert these 'tubes' over the old wires and solder them in place. You may need to 'scrape' the old wires to remove oxidisation using a pair of small pliers so that the new solder flows easier. Before soldering, play around with the length of the wires to get it just right; not so long as they could short out on something if the radio is subsequently jolted, and not so tight as to be a problem trying to solder them. I've a hunch that changing those waxed paper caps and the burnt resistors could be more or less a 'fix' for your set. Great advice from the previous guys you've been given there.

Try using Mr Sheen Topps scratch cover polish on the cabinet. It sinks into scratches and lacquer cracks and makes a cabinet look much, much better. The scratches virtually disappear like magic! There's three colours but I generally use the 'light wood' one first on the basis that you can always go darker if it doesn't work, but if it's too dark it'll highlight the scratches instead of hiding them. You can also hide blemishes on brown paintwork (and on lacquer/varnish) using those expensive 'artist's' felt tip pens that you can get in a variety of colours. Copic Ciao markers are such a thing. I have them in about six colours of brown. If used on lacquer marks, the trick is to apply it, then immediately 'smudge' it with a finger to blend it in. Otherwise, no problem on brown paintwork which you sometimes find is used to embellish bases and edges of sets. It's surprising how you can renovate a cabinet, you don't have to refinish it unless it's extremely tatty. Oh, try using a 3/4 inch paint brush and a vacuum cleaner with fine nozzle to remove the dust from the set, you can get into nooks and crannies better than trying to mop up dust using rags and stuff.

Best of luck, keep asking questions.

Last edited by stevehertz; 1st Jul 2014 at 3:51 pm.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 6:52 pm   #13
sooperrio
Retired Dormant Member

This is brilliant help, thank you all.
I have just been sat looking at the chassis, then at the service data, back at the chassis, thinking, "Oh my word, where do I start?"
At least I now have something to begin with.

I was so embarrassed at my general stupidity earlier today, that I asked for a quote for a restoration, but, blimey O'Reilly, the price is way out of my league at the moment.

May I ask one quick question, please?

Do I need to worry about the state of the 'mains box area' (picture attached)?
It doesn't look right to me, but then, what do I know?!

Also, how do I clean the gunk off all the wiring?
It's covered in grime and dust.
Or should I be replacing the wiring?

Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ambassador mains area.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	94737  
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 8:46 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperrio View Post
how do I clean the gunk off all the wiring?
Like I said earlier, use a 3/4 inch paint brush to 'stipple' and brush at all the dust wherever it may be, using a fine nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up the dislodged dust. Re general gunk, don't worry about it too much. This is a decades old vintage radio/record player. Cherish it for what it is, and the patina of 'age and use' that it displays. Also - with the greatest respect - that set is not of great monetary value - though being your dad's I'm sure it is priceless to you - but in general forget any ideas of making it look like new. It's not generally how we do things and it can even ruin the set's vintage appeal, looks and 'whatever value it may have' if you over-renovate it. Again, using my previous guidelines have a go at the cabinet and you'll suddenly feel a lot more confident in your ability to renovate the set; the cosmetic work is the easiest. I sense you're standing off from getting started? Get stuck in! we're here to help all along the way.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 10:38 pm   #15
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperrio View Post
how do I clean the gunk off all the wiring?
It looks fine to me, the wiring should also be OK.
I just Hoover out all the muck using a couple of paintbrushes. I use a rag soaked in WD40 to clean the wires, it works well and makes the colour of the wire clear.

A set like this is a good starter project. It is an AC set, so no live chassis worries, the set is conventional in construction and easy to work on.
Just take your time and ask plenty of questions, that's what we are here for

I would strongly advise you to change all the old caps except the Mica caps, as these are usually fine.
Check the resistors with a meter, and replace any that are more than 20% out of tolerance.

Mark
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 11:01 pm   #16
Silicon
Nonode

Before you connect any power to the radio you should replace the old 2 core flex with a 3 core (0.75mm conductors) flexible cable.

I don't like white PVC flex on an old radio. I get black rubber cables from electrical trade suppliers. They also sell 1 amp plug fuses.

Fabric covered cables like the original are available online.

Make a good connection between the metal chassis and the earth wire.
Keep the mains cable away from any hot valves.
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 6:44 am   #17
sooperrio
Retired Dormant Member

Again, guys, thank you all for your advice.
I feel like Sean Connery at the end of 'Goldfinger', "do I cut the blue wire or the red wire?".

Can't tell you all how much confidence you are all giving me!

Mark, what is a "Mica" capacitor, and how do I identify them?
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 7:53 am   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Looking at the underside of your chassis, I can see at least three mica caps - I'm sure there's more. They tend to be made out of moulded hard plastic, oblong shaped (about 25-30mm long, 4-6mm thick), with rounded edges and coloured dark oxblood. Alternatively they can be similarly oblong shaped but much thinner and covered with a hard wax - unlike the sticky wax on those caps you need to replace. But generally mica caps don't fail, you can pretty much bank on it for now.

Have you purchased the replacement caps for those sticky waxed paper ones? (they will be faulty). If not Cricklewood Electronics are a good, reliable supplier of caps for vintage use. You need AXIAL caps generally, with long leads, a lot of suppliers only stock low voltage, RADIAL leaded caps these days. Here's the relevant page for suitable caps - assuming the values you want are listed, but I'm sure they will be. In general you need 400V DC rated caps; http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...me.php?cat=151
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 8:28 am   #19
sooperrio
Retired Dormant Member

Steve,
Invaluable to me, thank you.
Graham
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 8:36 am   #20
Cobaltblue

Hi Graham

There's a good page on recognising capacitor types here