UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2018, 3:16 pm   #1
kevinb
Pentode

Default BSR tape deck in Fidelity TR19

its been a lot of years since I looked at one of these so I am a bit rusty
the take up belt seems a bit stretched but works just, the deck does not fast forward or re wind.
there seems to be an idler wheel (see pic) just doing nothing
anny suggestions would be of great help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5836.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	174451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5837.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	174452  
Old 12th Dec 2018, 3:51 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Bsr tape deck in Fidelity TR19

The two spool turntables should move slightly left or right, when FFWD or REW is selected, but the grease on the swivel mechanism below them goes hard and they seize up. If you remove the two turntables, you should see the problem.

Look at the third picture in the first post of this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=95280

The deck in that thread is the three speed TD10, but the turntable drive method is the same.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 3:57 pm   #3
BillDWVA
Pentode

^^Beat me to it..
It is a while since I worked on one of these but here goes.. From looking at your pics I remember that to Fast Forward the take-up spindle moves to the left and contacts the idler sandwiching it until it presses against the motor shaft, transmitting motion. On Rewind the supply spindle moves to the right and contacts the motor spindle directly.
The motor drives the capstan flywheel continuously and the belt transmits drive to the take up hub via a felt clutch.
If it fails to drive in FF or RW then maybe the mechanism is jammed or the motor spindle has shed its tyre?

There maybe TD2 experts here who can elaborate.

Bill
Old 12th Dec 2018, 4:22 pm   #4
kevinb
Pentode

Thank you for your speedy replies I will do as you suggest
Kevin
Closed Thread