UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2018, 4:35 pm   #41
John1961
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Thorn Ultra Model 6054 Record Player

When on the same setting the live and neutral on the mains plug flashes 170 very briefly but then goes back to ‘1’.
It’s my b’day tomorrow so out to Xmas market soon and then out most of Tomoz but will pick this up again Tues with a bit more intensity hopefully. Struggling with some of the terminology here but learning albeit slowly. Thanks to everyone for your help so far but with my limited understanding I might ultimately end up asking a repairer to look at this for me. Will try and get my son and his friend to help me out before resorting to that. Thanks John

Last edited by John1961; 16th Dec 2018 at 4:56 pm.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 5:48 pm   #42
Station X

A reading of 2 ohms indicates that the fuse is good.

Once possible explanation for the reading across the mains plug rising from 170 ohms to infinity is that there's a class X capacitor across the incoming mains lead which is being charged by the meter's battery.

The difficulty for those of us advising you is that we lack a circuit for the player. It would be useful if you could physically trace where the incoming mains lead goes to. Is the brown fuse board its first port of call?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 12:38 am   #43
John1961
Retired Dormant Member

Will take a look and get back ASAP. Thanks John
Old 17th Dec 2018, 12:38 pm   #44
crackle
Rest in Peace

If you need it the service information from R&TVS is here http://www.kbmuseum.org.uk/other_ser...6054_r&tvs.pdf

Mike
Old 17th Dec 2018, 1:35 pm   #45
Station X

Thanks.

Given that the motor isn't running, the mains plug fuse is OK and the internal 125mA fuse is OK, it's looking increasingly as if the mains switch is at fault.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	174791  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread