UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2018, 1:55 pm   #21
roberts54
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush EBS31 - valves and locations

Many thanks Chris. Which might - might - also suggest if I accidentally swapped ECH42 and EF41 it would not knacker the entire beast.

Excellent. I understand pictures best That seems spot on, thanks!

My conclusion is:
ECH42 - frequency changer
EF41 - IF amplifier (not EAF41 or EF89)
EBC41 - audio frequency
EZ40 - rectifier (or EZ41)
EL41 - output

Radio Museum seems to be correct thus (assuming it’s ‘spec’). Radio Workshop, understandably lists as ‘found’ - EAF41, EZ41. EZ40 and EZ41 seem interchangeable in this scenario though all the others are '41' so one might think... In any event, my radio def. has an EZ40 rectifier.

Q: My ECH42 and EF41 have no clear markings left and I may have made the classic schoolboy error of swapping them by mistake when cleaning the chassis up. Would this prove fatal for any components?

Thanks again to all - great help and info.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 3:08 pm   #22
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The set uses the same chassis pressing as the AC31 and DAC31. I am sure that you have the right valves in the right positions.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 3:21 pm   #23
roberts54
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Boater Sam, but not if I accidentally swapped them

Nanozeugma's photo illustration is, I believe, correct. Someone sent me the BUSH AC31/DAC31 service instructions which are useful though it only has four valves, not five (ECH42, EBF80, EL41, EZ40 for the AC31).
Old 7th Dec 2018, 3:45 pm   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

From a quick perusal of the National Valve Museum, swapping over the ECH42 and EF41 is unlikely to have done any lasting harm; it just would not have worked as a radio like that.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 5:13 pm   #25
roberts54
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Julie - which gives me some hope. It did manage to pick up one station (plus lots of crackling) prior to my cleaning it in what looked like the first time since 1952. Since then no crackling but no stations. Lights up, as do all valves, and I can hear a purr from the speaker but no Clitheroe Kid or Round the Horne alas

Worth swapping those two valves around then I guess in case I did mess them up.
Closed Thread