UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2018, 1:18 pm   #1
Gulliver
Hexode

Default Sonotone 9TAHC problem

I gave my best friend my dad's old Garrard-2025 based record player. Last week she had an accident that ended up breaking the stylus. I bought a new one and fitted it but something is wrong. The new stylus seems to sit higher than the old one and the sound reproduction is terrible.

I've attached photos showing the old stylus (where "LP" is clearly visible), new stylus and no stylus. Can anyone see any obvious problems? I can't get anything much out of it in LP or 78 mode.

I hear the expected noises through the speakers when changing the stylus and if I rap on the headshell so I assume the cartridge internally is fine. The cartridge does seem to move back and forth a couple of mm which I don't remember. But I hadn't used this machine since 1987 until quite recently so memories could be foggy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_221454.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	172504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_221636.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	172505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_200047.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	172506  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 1:52 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Sonotone 9TAHC problem

Are you sure the new stylus is seated correctly between the two rubber 'ears'. It looks slightly offset to the left to me.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:06 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Cartridge looks knacked to me.

Lawrence.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:21 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

I have a 9TAHC in a Dynatron GR8 record player and have always thought that he bass was lacking. I have latterly wondered whether the suspension in the cartridge itself has gone hard - this may be the case with yours, it certainly doesn't look well
Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:30 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Use a pair of tweezers to correctly locate the new stylus. Look from the front (ideally with an eyeglass) to ensure it's completely vertical and pushed into the rubber stylus saddle and not sitting to one side of it.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:39 pm   #6
Gulliver
Hexode

It was working fine until a week ago, certainly the bass has always been superb....as in rattle plates off shelves superb. The new owner sometimes has hand tremors and unfortunately suffered one as she was taking a record off the spindle, crashing it into the stylus/cart. So damage cannot be ruled out, though to be honest I think it's always looked the way it does. What is "knackered" about it?
Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:54 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

It looks like the bridge has parted to me, maybe someone else can confirm either way.

Lawrence.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:58 pm   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

Yes it does. It is pushing the stylus assembly to one side. We expect these old parts to work for far longer than was ever envisaged by the manufacturers and it may have become more vulnerable to accidental damage.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 3:00 pm   #9
Gulliver
Hexode

So assuming a new cart is needed, what would people recommend?

Is this interchangable with the existing cart?

https://www.thestyluslady.co.uk/sono...p78-1365-p.asp
Old 9th Nov 2018, 3:25 pm   #10
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Two problems: the first is that it isn't the High Compliance version of the cartridge [1] and the second is that it has the Garrard one hole fixing bracket with the 'ears' for the standard two screw fixing cropped off.

I don't know if you could swap the brackets over.

If you look at the stylus head on, do the ears of the coupler grip the stylus? It looks as if the left and right deviations shown in the photographs might be because, possibly, the coupler has split in half.

Is the replacement stylus the correct HC type?

[1] The cartridge must match the arm. If a normal cartridge is fitted in a high compliance arm, the groove vibrations try to move the arm instead of the inside of the cartridge.

Conversely, with an HC cartridge in a normal arm, because the arm is stiffer, instead of tracking across the record, it will try to keep still while the stylus follows the groove until it is right up against the limit of travel, whereupon it will give the arm the added nudge it needs and it jumps across the record! This leap frog action continues as the stylus follows the groove across the record.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 3:47 pm   #11
PaulR
Dekatron

The advert says it is the HC version so that should be ok. They also say that they will change the fitting if you send the old one, so it should be a straight swap. I didn't know that anyone was re manufacturing them. It would be very interesting to know how they perform.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 4:43 pm   #12
tracypaper
Octode

The rubber seat that connects to the two ceramic transducers and where the stylus seats has Broken and come apart as mentioned above.
Gaz.

Last edited by tracypaper; 9th Nov 2018 at 4:49 pm. Reason: Grammer
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:30 pm   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would doubt if this is "re-manfactured", more that it's NOS.
If the deck is a Garrard 2025 (as indicated in the Post #1) do note the tone arm in this is not the same as the high-compliance, tubular arm as in the Garrard 2025TC.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:41 pm   #14
John10b
Nonode

If you are interested Gulliver there are some pictures of a Sonotone that I opened up, it shows the construction, if you look for post dated 13 sept, “Bass response from ceramic cartridge” post 18 and 20. I’m unable to upload pics from iPad I have tried but without success.
Cheers
John
Old 9th Nov 2018, 6:33 pm   #15
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
The advert says it is the HC version so that should be ok. They also say that they will change the fitting if you send the old one, so it should be a straight swap.
Silly me!

I obviously misread the add - twice!
Old 10th Nov 2018, 8:55 am   #16
lazythread
Pentode

Looking at your photos I can see that the cartridge is held in by two screws, so you can replace it with any standard cartridge. The easiest option is to replace it with another 9TA series cartridge, as they have a plug connector at the back. This isn't the cheapest option, but is the best as they are good cartridges.

You don't need to worry about single hole fixings or sending your old one back if the new one has a standard fixing.
Old 10th Nov 2018, 11:31 am   #17
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I would doubt if this is "re-manfactured", more that it's NOS.
If the deck is a Garrard 2025 (as indicated in the Post #1) do note the tone arm in this is not the same as the high-compliance, tubular arm as in the Garrard 2025TC.
That does seem more likely. I bought a NOS Pickering turnover cartridge and the compliance is awful, presumably due to the hardening of rubber parts over the years.
Old 11th Nov 2018, 4:42 pm   #18
ben
Dekatron

These 9TAHC carts are long obsolete, you may be able to find one NOS but it is likely to suffer the same rubber ears problem as the one you have. I would look at changing it. A BSR SC11/12M, or if that is too pricey, alternatively one of the chinese ' LP/78 cartridge' from ebay for under ten pounds (though you'd have to be creative in mounting it).

The second thing you would need to do it solder on some connecting clips to the fine wires in place of the plug used by the 9TA.

If all this seems like too much fiddling, them maybe post in the wanted section for someone off here near to you to carry it out!
Old 14th Dec 2018, 1:15 pm   #19
Gulliver
Hexode

Final update....I went with "The Stylus Lady" who's email communication was excellent as was her service. I got a new (I assume NOS) 9TAHC on which she attached the old mount from mine. She even returned my original cartridge. New one was fitted in under 5 minutes and sounds fine. Thoroughly recommended.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 2:02 pm   #20
PaulR
Dekatron

How does the new ons sound?