UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2018, 8:19 am   #21
GW4FRX
Pentode

Default Re: Radford SPA.50 resistor values?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
OK, I've had another play. With my sim and the devices I used, I reckon you could try R9 3k3, shunt P2 with 120R across ends and make R10 1k5.
Chris, a quick question -- with those numbers, should R8 keep the original Radford schematic value of 100R or the as-found value of 2K2?
Old 14th Dec 2018, 11:47 am   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

Go with the 100R- that's what was used in the sim.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Dec 2018, 7:05 pm   #23
GW4FRX
Pentode

Just to tie the ribbons on this problem for the sake of anyone else who has cause to wrestle with an SPA.50, Chris’s values turned out to be almost spot-on except the resistor across P2 wasn’t needed. With it in circuit the control range was only a few millamps. Without it, P2 now gives anywhere between 4 and 300mV across the emitter resistors R25 and R26, so the standing current in the output pair is now settable at anything up to 0.5A or so. It will be interesting to find out what the optimum value for lowest THD turns out to be.

The cause of the difficulty in setting P2 initially turned out to be intermittent HF instability. I had been using an external pair of MJ15003/4 transistors for the output devices for ease of accessibility and the wiring to them was about 5in long. Cutting this back somewhat and connecting 22uF and 10nF capacitors between the emitters of the transistors immediately stopped them hooting at a few MHz and restored order. The Bailey/Radford design is inherently quite wideband and there seem to have been several different attempts to solve this problem in production.

Sincere thanks to those generous souls who provide information for all our benefit on this excellent forum.
Closed Thread