UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Old 25th Nov 2018, 11:36 am   #1
moggi1964
Diode

Default Help finishing a valve amp build

I have been trying to build a "tube amplifier" (Tubelab SE 300b) and after multiple test - fail - repeat cycles I have simply run out of self-confidence and energy. I have had it working on the bench at one point but when I tried to put it in the enclosure then things started to go wrong.

I wanted to find someone in the North West who might be able to use their skills to finish what I started. I got support from a friend when I started building it when I was living in the US and got a lot of help from the diyaudio forum but now I needs some fresh (knowledgeable) hands on to go the last step.

4 years on...... Yup! 4 years and it still isn't on the stand playing my vinyl!

So if anyone wants to take on a new project please get in touch. I'm not expecting you to give up your time for free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TubelabSE_AMP Wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	173367   Click image for larger version

Name:	TSE Copper and Walnut.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	173368  
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Nov 2018, 6:45 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Help finishing a valve amp build

You are going to have to say what is wrong...multiple test repeat fails doesn't say much...it's like asking why a car won't start. Is it dead? does it partly work....in other words, what is the failure mode? It's a very simple circuit so shouldn't be too much trouble to sort out.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 7:30 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Not in the North West, but willing to have a look at it for you, PM sent.

Andy.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 7:48 pm   #4
moggi1964
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
You are going to have to say what is wrong...multiple test repeat fails doesn't say much...it's like asking why a car won't start. Is it dead? does it partly work....in other words, what is the failure mode? It's a very simple circuit so shouldn't be too much trouble to sort out.
Sideband, I didn't want to go into any detail on here otherwise I suspect it would turn into a thread of people offering helpful suggestions. I would normally be ever so helpful for any suggestions but at this point I figured the lack of detail might be the better option.

It is a constantly blowing resistor that only needs about about 50v on the variac before it starts to overheat. I have tried different values form different supplies all to no avail. I have been given some ideas form the Tubelab forum and will share all the info I have with the person I hopefully find to take on the project.

I do appreciate your contribution all the same

I have had a couple of PM's and I'll respond to them tonight.
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2018, 12:29 pm   #5
moggi1964
Diode

Just to say I have arranged for my project to be reviewed with an eye to completion by a long time member on here. Hopefully it works out and of course I'll post the results.

Thanks to everyone who got in touch.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 12:35 am   #6
moggi1964
Diode

I've dropped off my amp with member 'Ted Kendall' for him to take a look and and hopefully bring it to completion.

It'll likely be January next year before I have something to share but just wanted to say thanks again to the generous offers of assistance I received.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 2:19 am   #7
IanBland
Pentode

Do let us know how this turns out!
IanBland is offline   Reply With Quote