UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2019, 10:39 am   #1
Celestial
Triode

Default Hacker Sovereign II RP25

Obtained from EBay in very good condition. The seller said that the radio had worked and then suddenly stopped working. New batteries were fitted without any change in conditions. Fault seemed to be in the output stage as I was able to trace a signal at the input of this stage. About 16volts was also measured on this connector. All components are original and lockfit transistors are fitted here and in the rest of the circuit. I was able to trace a signal on T1 but nothing on T2. This morning I decided to inject a signal into the stage. Doing this on T2 the radio gave a pop and crackle and burst into life. The radio is working on all three bands. I have come across this problem on another Hacker. I wondered if anyone else has come across this problem? The signal injector I use is designed around a 555 'timer' IC that I found on the web. As the radio is working well I have decided to leave well alone. However there is one small problem. Radio 5 live on MW is coming in on 400m on the scale. The VHF is slightly out also but nothing very much. Is there a trimmer that I need to adjust to correct the MW coverage?
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:13 am   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign II RP38

Hacker Sovereign II is the RP25, the RP38 is the Hunter, which one is it?

Andrew
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:36 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

May have been a bad connection to the AF amp board.
Mike
Old 12th Dec 2019, 4:17 pm   #4
Celestial
Triode

Hello Andrew,
Please accept my apologies,the raido is a Sovereign II RP25
Old 12th Dec 2019, 7:00 pm   #5
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign II RP25

It's worth having a good look at that multiway plug/socket on the audio amplifier pcb. That connector wasn't one of Hacker's best moments, and often gives problems. Sometimes just rocking it a bit can make/unmake connections.

Mike
Old 13th Dec 2019, 8:45 am   #6
Celestial
Triode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign II RP25

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your replies.
Closed Thread