UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2022, 1:53 pm   #1
Kestrel
Diode

Default Aiwa AD F410 fast forward rewind problem

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a bunch of equipment but I just bought an Aiwa AD F410 to play tapes in our kitchen and send them to a bluetooth speaker (it's the future I'm told). This was working pretty well but out of nowhere it has stopped rewinding or fast forwarding. It plays fine. If I press FF or Rewind there is the briefest spin of the flywheel, a cog down on the lowest left part of the mech(seen from behind) turns and clicks, and then it stops. The tape never moves A quick scan of this forum suggests this is a common problem. I was told the belts were new so I'm assuming it's not them. In a previous post 'Ben' mentioned a mech problem could be the answer, something catching on the brake-which could be that cog I see turn and click? I have had the mech out and looked at the various gears. The problem is I really don't have a clue what I'm looking at! any ideas?
Old 26th Nov 2022, 2:00 pm   #2
Kestrel
Diode

Default Re: Aiwa AD F410 fast forward rewind problem

Still no joy on this. Might buy another belt, maybe this one isn't tight enough. It was working when I got it so I can't see this would help but it's the cheapest option in the first instance. After that it's look for a parts model so I can whip some of those gears out and swap them over- see if that works. Plays fine, had it going just now.
Old 26th Nov 2022, 8:41 pm   #3
Grubhead
Heptode

I had a similar problem with Aiwa ADF450. It turned out to be the belts being not tight enough. Mine was the big flywheel belt. If that wasn't tight enough it wouldn't do the other functions, but would play. I think I got the larger sized belt from a pack off Amazon. Some of the genuine replacements belts were expensive. The cheap ones have worked fine so far. Some people replace the belts, but not with the correct size, it might work for a bit then loose grip.
Old 26th Nov 2022, 9:41 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Open it up and tape down the leaf switches at the top of the mech, press rewind /FF and observe. You may find the brake does not disengage fully from the teeth around the spools. I modified mine 25 years ago with a piece of rubber and it still works today.

If he belt goes slack on these, you get no play as the mech/capstan cannot lift the headbridge into position. If play works the belt is OK.
Closed Thread