UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2022, 6:57 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Vintage TV Episode

I'm watching Talking Pictures TV "Footage Detectives" 5-6pm Sunday evenings. Also on line and repeated 9am Thursdays. Quite a bit of TV amongst the recovered films. There was a feature re Test Cards right at the beginning mentioning the first ones No's A and B [circa I936] and that an image of "B" doesn't seem to have survived. Mike Read asked if any TV enthusiasts might perhaps know more The girl in Test Card F, which became world famous around the world. She was mentioned along with her engineer father.

Half way in there was a feature on the "very first" first TV magazine and unusually, lots of positive comments about J L Baird pointing out that he did the first colour television broadcast [landline to cinemas], Noctovision [seeing by radio] and much more that most people just don't know about him. Refreshingly accurate!

Dave W

See my post re Baird [72*] on Radio69's thread "BBC could end terrestrial Radio and TV in seven years time" 8/12/22.

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th Dec 2022 at 7:11 pm.
Old 18th Dec 2022, 8:08 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Vintage TV Episode

I found this a while back and uploaded it to youtube. Whether it’s accurate or not I’m not sure. The music definitely isn’t of course.

But here’s the video

https://youtu.be/tiB6CAM-GJY
Old 18th Dec 2022, 8:15 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

The picture shown of George Hersee is a still from the "Development of the TV
Test Card" video, presented by Andy Emmerson.

Note the image of Carol on Test Card F/J/W is in fact with left/right reversal.
Old 18th Dec 2022, 11:37 pm   #4
Richard_FM
Nonode

Carol Hersee was on QI a few weeks ago, complete with Bubbles the clown.
Old 19th Dec 2022, 3:29 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes I thought I'd seen Test Card Carol around somewhere! Do you plan to send the image to TPTV 1977? Was that TV magazine really the first? I expected somebody dispute it really but it was good to see some TV content on a largely cine based program. Last week's episode featured record shops from the days when you asked to "listen to this one" and stood in a booth! Today's Guardian features the Coronation Hall in Slindon West Sussex. It was built in the thirties [with a Projection Booth that was never used] and is near Bury [not the Greater Manchester town]. An enterprising teenager was donated a redundant 35mm Projector and he has opened a period Cinema. Right up the TPTV alley.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Dec 2022 at 3:47 pm.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 9:08 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

I hadn't thought of sending it to them but I'll contact them now to see if they're interested!
Closed Thread