UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2022, 4:16 pm   #21
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Ceramic cartridge compliance

Does the problem go away as you raise the tracking weight?

If so, how much weight is needed for effective tracking?

Martin
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 5:22 pm   #22
John10b
Nonode

It would be interesting if you could lend the LP to one of our forum folk to see if their decks handle the LP ok.
John
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 6:57 pm   #23
Michael Maurice

The owner lives in Tamworth and I'm going there to service it. I will take some older LP's to try it on.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 7:20 pm   #24
John10b
Nonode

It will be interesting to know how you get on.
John
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 9:36 pm   #25
ben
Dekatron

If possible take along another garrard autoslim derived deck like a 2025 or 3000 with ceramic cart, which you have alreadytested at home, see if the problem persists. If not just swap the whole deck! Might seem radical but would save time out in the field.
Old 2nd Dec 2022, 11:24 pm   #26
joebog1
Banned

" New " pressings are notorious for bad tracking. I have a perfect order SME 3009/Shure V15 and it wont play some modern pressings, and many that it does play sound like a 6 transistor radio with flat batteries.
I dont bother anymore with modern LP's as Hayerjoe says it perfectly. I know this doesnt help with your problem.

Joe
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 8:23 am   #27
lazythread
Pentode

I use original Autoslim, AT6 and SL65 changers, the latter is in daily use. They all have Stanton 500 / Pickering V15 cartridges fitted. The tracking weight range used is between 3 and 5 grams and they all play new heavy cut pressings without any problems.

I've had some NOS ceramic cartridges collapse after a few plays. The fine Sonotone 35xx series seems particularly prone. Pity.
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 5:36 pm   #28
Analogue man
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
" New " pressings are notorious for bad tracking. I have a perfect order SME 3009/Shure V15 and it wont play some modern pressings, and many that it does play sound like a 6 transistor radio with flat batteries.
I dont bother anymore with modern LP's as Hayerjoe says it perfectly. I know this doesnt help with your problem.

Joe
I also have a SME 3009 with a Shure V15III on a custom plinth with a Garrard 401 and have no problems at all with tracking any disc, but I did a while back when I bought an Aussie made stylus which was very poor compared to Jico or the now defunct Ed Saunders stylus.

I also have a Goldring Lenco GL75 fitted with a SME series 3 with a V15III and this too will track anything.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 12:03 pm   #29
Michael Maurice

An update;

I fitted a new Sharp 146 cartridge that I got from Musonic.

As it was a ½" mount, I used the plastic spacer adapter from a BSR X6S cartridge to facilitate mounting.

This worked perfectly and I will most likely be fitting this cartridge or something similar from now on.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 7th Dec 2022, 12:21 pm   #30
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's brilliant.

It doesn't look too esoteric, very like the Chinese unbranded ones with the plastic cantilever, but if it does the job...

https://www.musonic.co.uk/product/sh...146-cartridge/

Can we therefore assume your other two substitute cartridges had hardened suspensions or were defective in some other way?
Old 7th Dec 2022, 1:03 pm   #31
John10b
Nonode

Thank you for updated and well done on your perseverance.
John
Old 7th Dec 2022, 2:10 pm   #32
ben
Dekatron

That's no Sharp, the photo at least is a Chuo Denshi - you can just make out the icon on the red stylus assembly. It's certainly not worth 30 notes IMO!

Not only that but the plastic cantilever stylus is likely to have worse compliance than any other the other carts mentioned.

Something still doesn't add up here.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 3:20 pm   #33
peter_sol
Octode

Yes that is one of the Chinese ones. Nothing wrong with the plastic stylus, they track well at 5 Grammes.
You can get them quite cheaply. That price shown is a rip off, for people not in the know.
Glad you had success Michael.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 3:57 pm   #34
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The picture does show a genuine Chuo Denshi though
Old 7th Dec 2022, 4:51 pm   #35
peter_sol
Octode

Yes but Chuo Denshi are one of the cheap Chinese type.
Cheap as to price and not necessarily as to quality, as we have found out.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 5:09 pm   #36
Radio Wrangler

Anyway, a good outcome. Perseverance pays off.

David
Old 7th Dec 2022, 5:26 pm   #37
Hartley118
Nonode

Great that you've achieved success Michael. I guess that when you're restoring a set professionally, paying a bit extra for the assurance of a timesaving solution is well worth while.

An issue that I've noticed over the years with ceramic cartridges is their serious temperature sensitivity. The suspension can really stiffen up at low temperatures, seriously reducing tracking ability. If working in an outdoor workshop, a low overnight temperature can create a real problem: even when a heater has warmed up the workshop to a comfortable working temperature, it can take ages for the warmth to penetrate the cartridge and recover its compliance.

Martin
Old 7th Dec 2022, 6:12 pm   #38
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I guess that when you're restoring a set professionally, paying a bit extra for the assurance of a timesaving solution is well worth while.
Yes, you're right. I guess if it's the customer that's paying then there's no need to worry too much about the price.

I don't think you can buy the Chinese clone or unbranded factory versions, or whatever they are, with the plastic shank stylus on ebay, all those types are either already fitted in modern players, or are obtained from the 'named' dealers.

Even with the plastic shank, they do, as has already been said, track well. I've come across several in record players that have 'passed through my hands' and I've not noticed any problems with them. The latest example of one that's just turned up with me has been fitted in the headshell of a 50s Philips DJ record player. It tracks and sounds good, which I suppose it probably would do seeing as it's tracking at between 12-14 g (recommended 3-5g)! I really need to find some way of reducing the tracking weight on this player, and also while I'm here, is there a way of adjusting the set down position on these, before I dive in?

Example of the cartridge as found fitted in the Philips head below:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150918.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	269516  
Old 8th Dec 2022, 12:30 am   #39
wd40addict
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
Yes but Chuo Denshi are one of the cheap Chinese type
Not quite, CD are a Japanese company whose basic cartridge design has been copied by the Chinese. More here

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...9&postcount=11
Old 8th Dec 2022, 11:48 am   #40
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I guess that when you're restoring a set professionally, paying a bit extra for the assurance of a timesaving solution is well worth while.
Yes, you're right. I guess if it's the customer that's paying then there's no need to worry too much about the price.

I don't think you can buy the Chinese clone or unbranded factory versions, or whatever they are, with the plastic shank stylus on ebay, all those types are either already fitted in modern players, or are obtained from the 'named' dealers.

Even with the plastic shank, they do, as has already been said, track well. I've come across several in record players that have 'passed through my hands' and I've not noticed any problems with them. The latest example of one that's just turned up with me has been fitted in the headshell of a 50s Philips DJ record player. It tracks and sounds good, which I suppose it probably would do seeing as it's tracking at between 12-14 g (recommended 3-5g)! I really need to find some way of reducing the tracking weight on this player, and also while I'm here, is there a way of adjusting the set down position on these, before I dive in?

Example of the cartridge as found fitted in the Philips head below:-

See post #9 for a tracking weight solution in this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=182357

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Closed Thread