UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 8:45 am   #1
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default 4CX350f valves

I'm considering a vintage vhf amplifier but I am.pretty sure the valve, a 4cx350f, is now part of the vast array of materials known as unobtanium. Is this so? It might make me reconsider...
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:02 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 4CX350f valves

There are some around, but old Eimac ceramic toobs were known to sometimes be a bit leaky. 4CX250B and 8877s seem to have been more common.

Try asking on an EME forum, or an ad in Dubus.

David
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:12 am   #3
G4YVM David
Heptode

Thanks
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:19 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

There are also the G3SEK triode and tetrode control boards which are worth investigating, also Ian did the VHF/UHF DX book for the RSGB and if you don't have a copy, it's well worth hunting one.

David
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 9:42 am   #5
G4YVM David
Heptode

Coincidence...i worked GM3SEK a couple of weeks back on 2m tropo from Salisbury. I was dead chuffed.
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 10:16 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I bought a spare 4CX350F a year or so back for Nagi at a good price (new) off eBay.
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 10:19 am   #7
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

The VHF/UHF DX book is now available as a free download, I think from Ian's web site. (I know its "not the same" as a book but you can get it!)

They warn the info is dated but it provides excellent background material

73 Fred
G4BWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
There are also the G3SEK triode and tetrode control boards which are worth investigating, also Ian did the VHF/UHF DX book for the RSGB and if you don't have a copy, it's well worth hunting one.

David
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 10:26 am   #8
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Plenty around Europe on eBay including NOS (£39) and one sealed in a US military can £128 or offer

73 Fred
G4BWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
I'm considering a vintage vhf amplifier but I am.pretty sure the valve, a 4cx350f, is now part of the vast array of materials known as unobtanium. Is this so? It might make me reconsider...
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 11:28 am   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The G3SEK boards are definitely worth studying: a point often missed by some designers of amplifiers using the 4X-series of tubes is that the screen-grid supply needs to be able to both source *and sink* current.

The valves are still available - new - from CPII in the 'states [the company which now owns what us oldtimers still call Eitel McCulloch] but the prices are very much aimed at the military/industrial-sector purchaser!

The "care and feeding of power grid tubes" design-application notes - essential reading for anyone using these valves - are also available to download from

https://www.cpii.com/library.cfm/9
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 11:28 am   #10
G4YVM David
Heptode

Thanks chaps.

The control boards from Ian seem very reasonably priced although he warns this is their final year of production.