UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2019, 12:04 am   #1
Lcoverdale
Retired Dormant Member

Default Blaupunkt Arkansas stylus and cartridge help please

First time poster so sorry for lack of knowledge.

I recently purchased a Blaupunkt Arkansas in quite good condition.
It had no mains plug, and assumed it would need a lot of work and research. Which I was prepared to do.

I installed a new plug but nothing. Then I took the main radio unit out and noticed the 0.2 glass fuse. I replaced this tonight and wow. It works!
Radio is fine, apart from a little work that needs doing to the tuning dial, as it keeps spinning and not changing the frequency.
Also removed the 2w back light bulbs and ordered some new ones.

The last 2 issues I'm having is:

The auto function and arm are not working (I may post about this at a later date when I have photos)

But really I need help in regards to the cartridge and stylus.
I tried to play an old record and the sound quality is awful. Now the radio works fine so the speakers are not an issue. The stylus looks old so I'm guessing this needs replacing.

Currently on there is a GP94 - 1 cartridge. I'm led to believe this is obsolete.
Can I just replace the cartridge (changing the cartridge mount too)?

Also if anyone has any idea of the year of manufacture on the radiogram I'd appreciate it!

Thank you!!
I've attached some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_221005_resized.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	176250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_222401_resized.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	176251   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_222349_resized_1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	176252  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 12:43 am   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Blaupunkt Arkansas stylus and cartridge help please

If you want to do a cheap substitute for the cartridge that's fitted, then you could buy one of the cheap Chinese ceramic cartridges available from ebay. For test purposes you could stick it in with a blob of Blu-tack and if it works out, make or buy a proper mount for it later - you'll have to reset the tracking weight with a stylus balance. These cartridges work very well, but are for vinyl records only, so no good if you also want to play 78s. I've bought a number of these cartridges and found them to be very good for running into multistage amplifiers such as in your radiogram. You can always refit your original cartridge after the test - it might just need a new stylus, but at £1.14, those cartridges are a lot cheaper than a stylus will be for the original.

Link below to the first example I found. There's likely to be a few different sellers, so take your choice, they're all the same even if the prices are higher. Remember, it'll take a week or two to come from China....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vinyl-Tur....c100005.m1851

There may also be one or two capacitors in the audio output stages of the radiogram that may well need replacing to prevent eventual damage to output transformers etc. Do a forum search for "that capacitor" (grid coupling capacitor) and read up on it.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 8:55 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Acos GP94-1 is an excellent cartridge and if it's working, there's no need to replace it for a dubious "upgrade". It will most likely just need a new stylus (LP/78 or LP/LP) readily available. Your Stereogram comes from c.1966/67. As to issues with the Garrard 2025 autochanger, there is much resident information available to read in the Stickies above (see Garrard "Autoslim"), but it would help if we knew what the problem is first.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 9:27 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The Neostar radio/CD/Record player comes fitted with one of those Chinese Cartridges (as one might expect) the belt drive deck fitted is a 3-speed one capable of playing 78s so a stylus suitable for 78s should be available if needed, although I haven't checked for a source to buy one. There is also a version of those Chinese Cartridges which has a turnover dual-tip stylus. That having been said, at £1.14 postage free, and, if the illustration is correct, with a metal-shanked stylus, the cartridge shown, which should be OK for all LPs & 45s is a real bargain!
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:01 am   #5
Lcoverdale
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The Acos GP94-1 is an excellent cartridge and if it's working, there's no need to replace it for a dubious "upgrade". It will most likely just need a new stylus (LP/78 or LP/LP) readily available. Your Stereogram comes from c.1966/67. As to issues with the Garrard 2025 autochanger, there is much resident information available to read in the Stickies above (see Garrard "Autoslim"), but it would help if we knew what the problem is first.

Hello mate thanks you for helping me out!

So do you think something like the link below will fit in the cartridge okay?

I could pop into a record shop somewhere in London today to grab one. I'll just ask for what you quoted above

Thank you!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/BSR-St12-St...a0eb7effbbf6d0

Cheers everyone for your help!

Guessing I'll be on this forum a lot and look forward to becoming part of the community
Old 11th Jan 2019, 2:24 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the above, but a BSR Stylus will not fit a GP94-1 Cartridge. The correct type should be available from suppliers such as Musonic, A-V-A On-line, etc.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 3:41 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I doubt very much if there's any record shop in London that stocks these - those were the days! Just search online for a Acos GP94 stylus. Edward
Old 11th Jan 2019, 5:48 pm   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

Before you buy a new stylus I would check that the radio is working well and the sound is good quality.
There may be an issue in the radio/amplifier causing the audio to sound bad.
Also check the stylus pressure to see if it is correct. It may be possible that the stylus has become dislodged a little, close examination and or a photo placed here would enable others to advise.

Mike
Old 12th Jan 2019, 8:59 am   #9
Lcoverdale
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I doubt very much if there's any record shop in London that stocks these - those were the days! Just search online for a Acos GP94 stylus. Edward
Thanks Edward. I don't know why I thought I was in 1960 ����

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
Before you buy a new stylus I would check that the radio is working well and the sound is good quality.
There may be an issue in the radio/amplifier causing the audio to sound bad.
Also check the stylus pressure to see if it is correct. It may be possible that the stylus has become dislodged a little, close examination and or a photo placed here would enable others to advise.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah the radio works fine and is great quality.

I might as well invest in a new stylus and just see.

I tried to remove the silver 'cog' that deals with the automatic arm last night because I heard the grease on the brass part of the cog sometimes dries up but I couldn't pull it up off the player. But when I turned it the arm did move and lay down (although slightly out of line)

Louis
Old 12th Jan 2019, 11:22 am   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

You need to be careful that you don't turn the spindle mounting when trying to remove that Cam Gear (Guess how I knew that!). If the spindle is out of line the autochange mechanism will either not work at all or certainly not work correctly. To soften the hardened grease either gently heat the center of the gear assembly with a hair dryer or soldering iron, or, as I did once, pour hot water over the gear assembly. The cam will then lift off its shaft. All old grease should then be removed, including any around the Trip Pawl (The two levers attached with circlips at one side of the gear) These must not be lubricated at all, and must move freely on their pivot.
Closed Thread