UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2007, 9:57 pm   #1
igranic
Rest in Peace

Default Cowbit - 22 April

I am considering an outing to the Radiophile event at Cowbit on Sunday, but having never previously ventured there, I am somewhat lacking in basic information, such as:

Opening time?
Availability and type of refreshments?
Is there is an auction? If so, what time does it start?

Can anyone help?
Old 20th Apr 2007, 10:10 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Cowbit - 22 April

ok, no probs.

Exposition opens at 10.30 - entry is £1.50

Auction - Yes approx 260 lots - starts around 1pm normally

Refreshments - Yes, Sandwiches, cakes, teas, coffee - all locally made, and well priced.

Lots of nice pubs in the local area, and Spalding is only 2 miles away.......

Sean
Old 20th Apr 2007, 10:22 pm   #3
igranic
Rest in Peace

Sean,

Thanks for the very rapid and helpful reply. I hope to see you (and other forum members) there.

Edward
Old 21st Apr 2007, 10:27 am   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

I am expecting to go too, it's only about 40 miles from me.

Is there a bring and buy stall?
Old 21st Apr 2007, 11:18 am   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

No, no bring and buy there
Old 21st Apr 2007, 11:28 am   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the reply Sean.
Old 21st Apr 2007, 8:23 pm   #7
Aerodyne
Octode

I'll be there!
-Tony
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 5:47 pm   #8
maitiustandun
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
I am expecting to go too, it's only about 40 miles from me.

Is there a bring and buy stall?
hello colin ,long time no see, are u going to leamington spa next week , ? i take it cow is a different function , regards matt.[dublin]
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 7:48 pm   #9
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Matt

No, I'm afraid I will not be going to Leamington Spa. (I hope you got your Murphy sorted out by the way).

The Cowbit meeting today was very good with a lot of bargains to be had in the auction. I spent a total of £9 and that was on 3 items!!

With the exception of some rare and sort-after items, most things went very cheaply. An ideal place to go to build up or start a collection. Among the exceptions were a couple of Quad 2 amplifiers that made £160 pounds each with the outputs valves missing, a Syren crystal set that made £180 and a WW2 spy transmitter/receiver in a suitcase that made £700.

Cowbit is a relatively small venue with a intimate atmosphere. The refreshments are excellent too.
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 8:33 pm   #10
maitiustandun
Pentode

thanks for that colin ,never could get the dial bulb for the murp ,but its going like billio, 6 ivrss members going over to brum next week , hope they pick up my philips 642a from howard , its minus its dial glass , so i should be networking around to see has anyone got a spare one , ive got three ww2 aircraft direction finders , i saved from a skip , know anyone who might want them?nice meeting u again , regards matt.
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 10:06 pm   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi,
I must admit I do enjoy the Cowbit meet, we always seem to have a laugh!
The auctioneer, Phil is a real character ! ( and I mean this in the nicest possible way) but once he latches on to you, watchout!
I bought quite a few things, all bargains, including the biggest pair of Hi Fi speakers I have ever seen! but do they work well, the neighbors seem to think so!
Other bargains included a working (just ) Philips 462a for £10, a mint Sky queen for £10,and a tatty but working Bush AC11 for ...£10!
I also bought for spares,( because John insisted I needed it ) a Dynatron stereo with a goldring transcription turntable, this also came with a huge pair of speakers... how I got it all in an Astra!!? but I did , Honest!
Getting it past the other half when I got home is another story...
Great Day,
Rich.
Old 24th Apr 2007, 7:11 pm   #12
igranic
Rest in Peace

Having never visited before I was not entirely sure what to expect, but the sixty mile journey was uneventful if sometimes slightly surreal, at times being completely surrounded by a bright yellow sea of oilseed rape as far as the eye could see. Sadly, the Fens don't seem to grow much in the way of vegetables any more!

The event itself was intimate with about ten stallholders, but all selling interesting stuff at realistic prices. The 240 plus auction items took up nearly a third of the floor space, and ranged from 20s crystal sets to modern-day solid-state radios with a fair smattering of test gear, audio, and military.

Refreshments were excellent, mostly home-made, nice sandwiches, a good selection of cakes, all pleasantly served, and economically priced.

For my part, I enjoyed good conversation with previous acquaintances, made a couple of interesting new contacts, stocked-up on several elusive components and parts, and came away with a couple of pleasing auction purchases.

All-in-all a very enjoyable day out; I shall definitely go again!
Closed Thread