UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2018, 10:23 am   #1
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default The Manchester "Baby"

The World's first stored program computer, the Small-Scale Experimental Machine, is 70 today. The ancestor of all modern computers had a massive 1K memory, and took 52 minutes to run it's first program.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44554891
Old 21st Jun 2018, 11:19 am   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: The Manchester "Baby"

There's a replica (as pointed out in the article) on permanent display at the Museum of Science and Industry here in Manchester. I've seen it running on special occasions, though normally it's a 'static exhibit'. It's near the main entrance - the electricity galleries are a bit hard to find at MOSI, but are also worth a look.
Old 21st Jun 2018, 12:09 pm   #3
Kentode
Octode

When you're in the electricity gallery look for a Ferranti -Shirley Viscometer, the mechanism of which was mostly made by yours truly!

BVWS member
Old 21st Jun 2018, 2:43 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I have just arrived home from Manchester, I very often go to MOSI but didn’t this time. I have seen the replica many times and also see it running.
From memory there are a couple of 807 valves that are the current sinks for the diode logic gates, I didn’t count the diode valves but there were quite a few.
The purpose of “The Baby” was to develop the Williams-Kilburn CRT memory. Reading about the development of the Baby they had to run programs after the trams stopped at about 11pm, the sparks from the overhead electric tram cables upset the machine, the machine was housed in a room next to one of the main tram routes.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 4:18 am   #5
bobsterkent
Hexode

The trams finished on January 10th 1949 so that wouldn't have been for long
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 5:09 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

An ignoramus here, I'm now 70 and still ignorant how computers work but this event and the obvious wonder of this machine makes me utter:

"WOW" !!
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 7:59 am   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsterkent View Post
The trams finished on January 10th 1949 so that wouldn't have been for long
The trams were replaced by trolley buses, it could have been those, it’s a while since I was reading about it.

Trolley buses for those who have not seen one, very quiet to travel on unlike a motor bus or tram.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trol..._in_Manchester
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 8:08 am   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
An ignoramus here, I'm now 70 and still ignorant how computers work but this event and the obvious wonder of this machine makes me utter:

"WOW" !!
If you are ever in Manchester it is worth going to see, it’s a small exhibit, a few 19in racks but quite something. If it’s going to be switched on and running then Tuesday used to be the day. Some parts of an early Ferranti computer on show as well.You can then spend the rest of the day with the other exhibits, excellent museum for those who like science and industry. The aircraft museum is nearby and part of the same complex.