UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2017, 1:33 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default In praise of the Ultra FM950

Very pleased with this one, Ultra FM950, VHF only set from 1957.
I guess the success here is purchasing a radio from a collectors centre that works perfectly with no Hum, no hiss and no distortion.
I don't normally buy radios from such places as they usually seem overpriced for what they are but in this case the set looked in very good condition. I've always rather liked the neat styling and have been looking for a small valve VHF set for the bedroom.
I asked if I could plug it in and give it a listen before I parted with any money. On the label it said it worked and to my delight it did and very well too.
I would imagine it's been stored in ideal conditions so nothing seemed to have deteriorated, looks untouched inside. I've been "breaking it in" gently over the past week, it's been on for a couple of hours today with Radio 3 and I've really been enjoying it.
Much better sound comes from this set than you'll expected for a cheap "second set" radio. I've not even bothered using an external aerial as the internal one wound around the backboard is more than enough for the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171220_113120.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	154249  
Old 20th Dec 2017, 2:25 pm   #2
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: In praise of the Ultra FM950

I have one of these. Initially I changed just the larger Hunts caps and it worked fine for about 3 years. Slowly performance dropped off and was restored by changing the final small value ~1n Hunts caps. It just goes to show that Hunts caps can deteriorate in front of your eyes!

Interestingly the grid capacitor on the output valve is a disc ceramic, suggesting that even back in the day Ultra knew Hunts paper type were inclined to be leaky.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 2:38 pm   #3
music-centre
Heptode

I was working on one of these a few days ago, unusual to get apart, when you remove the screws holding the back on the front panel comes out with everything mounted on it. Not as easy to work on as it looks though as you then have to remove 2 brackets that go over the chassis and then that is still fixed to the front by 3 nuts.
I have replaced a few of the hunts caps and a couple of electrolytic caps and it actually seems quite sensitive, picking up several of the weaker stations that some sets don't get very well here.
Steve.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 3:12 pm   #4
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Interestingly the grid capacitor on the output valve is a disc ceramic, suggesting that even back in the day Ultra knew Hunts paper type were inclined to be leaky.
Would that grid capacitor be the "That" capacitor?
Old 20th Dec 2017, 3:21 pm   #5
wd40addict
Octode

That's the one, although I hate calling it that!
Old 20th Dec 2017, 3:35 pm   #6
MurphyNut
Heptode

Thanks for that!
Old 21st Dec 2017, 2:11 am   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I bought one of these at Gnosall in a terrible state as a "scrapper" for the valves. I usually dislike AC/DC sets.
However it has had a reprieve. Performance is really good for such a simple set.
It is never going to look good, the plywood has lost a lot of edges, the back is scruffy, but the tuning knob is fairly good. Worked as soon as power applied.
It will be a long way down the 'to do' pile, about 5 years I think!
Old 11th Jan 2018, 2:43 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

I bought one of these about 10 years ago. It was brand old stock in its box. apparently it was faulty from new and somehow had been put in a store room instead of being returned to the supplier.
There was a short to chassis on one of the valve bases easily repaired but it needed de- Hunting before it would work...

Rich.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 6:50 pm   #9
stitch1
Heptode

I have one of these too, not in as good a condition as yours, big sound for a small set. It developed hum and I thought I'd fixed it changing the smoothing caps but it seems to have returned, I'll have to have another look at it.

John
Old 12th Jan 2018, 2:20 pm   #10
wd40addict
Octode

Mine has always hummed a bit, but I put it down to being AC/DC
Closed Thread