UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2018, 7:27 pm   #1
Croozer
Pentode

Default Aviation breakthrough on Band II?

Times have changed and i thought the days of picking up emergency service transmissions on VHF vanished when the band was cleared above 100MHz 30 years ago. Maybe you wise and experienced can clear up the following anomoly.

The police helicopter has been circling the city on account of the football today. Listening to local radio on 97.3MHz was interupted as if by a point to point communication; a quick snatch of inteligable speach, an unmistakable 'kilo alpha' but the rest was to brief to copy.

What was it? Assuming an IF of 10.7MHz would it possible to pick up 118.7MHz? Is that a frequency still used for aircraft? I thought aviation used AM, and the limiter in the receiver would make AM reception impossible.

I assume it couldnt be police radio as i thought this went digital some time ago.

This is the second time ive heard such a breakthrough, both times on 97.3MHz, both occassions wihen the police chopper was direct overhead, both times on a roberts transistor with whip aerial.

Any suggestions?
Old 28th Oct 2018, 7:54 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Aviation breakthrough on Band II?

Aviation still uses classic double-sideband-and-full-carrier AM, yes. That's the global standard - 8.33KHz channel-spacing these days.

Given a seriously-strong signal, 'image' interference is still a potential issue - I guess your receiver has the local oscillator running 10.7MHz above the frequency it's tuned to, so a big signal 2xIF (21.4MHz) above the tuned frequency can be expected to cause issues.

And yes, because the limiter's not 100% effective 'AM breakthrough' on a FM receiver is a fact.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 9:22 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Yes, 118.7 is the Edinburgh tower frequency.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 9:43 pm   #4
Croozer
Pentode

Mystery resolved! Many thanks gents.

I didn't realise that an FM receiver was capeable of AM reception. Good to be able to identify the frequency.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 10:59 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Edinburgh tower's transmitters are on Corstorphine hill.

Police helicopters have to use airband. Few other radio services are licensed for use in the air, though they may use airwave for police business communications. Most importantly they have to be in normal contact with ATC, airport tower, airport ground as needed.

Aviation isn't just still using AM, there is an update underway to 8.33kHz channel-spacing and just about every radio in every plane is required to be replaced.

Normal power requirement is >16W carrier and >70% mod, so PEPs in the 70W region are usual.

Discriminators are often amplitude sensitive and limiters don't limit perfectly, also there is a problem called AM to PM conversion in limiters.

David
Old 29th Oct 2018, 9:50 am   #6
paulsherwin

Some cheap radios which claim airband coverage just extend the FM coverage above 108. They rely on the discriminator producing some sort of intelligible sound from the AM signals. This does work after a fashion.
Closed Thread