UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2018, 2:22 pm   #21
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: SAQ Grimeton (Varberg) 17.2kHz

It's actually testing now, good sigs here, I'm using NE602 upconverter(to 10MHz)with Alinco DX70TH
and my 28MHz delta loop is the antenna, probably helped by the coax capacitance.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 2:41 pm   #22
Andrew2
Nonode

Yup, just caught it myself whilst setting up. A good solid signal on the new LF loop. The Wellbrook loop was struggling, but to be fair it is only rated down to 50 KHz.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SAQ Oct.zip (450.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 24th Oct 2018, 6:08 pm   #23
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Just started up at 1743 BST
Listening via http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
I can hear the signal even during "key-up". The keying seems interrupted by long "dahs"

I could hear a slight change in frequency at the beginning of the transmission
Attached Files
File Type: zip websdr_recording_start_2018-10-24T16_20_09Z_17.2kHz.zip (634.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 24th Oct 2018, 7:02 pm   #24
hannahs radios
Hexode

I heard them not super strong but still listenable I found that an FSK transmission a few cycles down was a real nuisance I think its Russian navy I wonder what there power is as it was stronger than SAQ and thats a 200 Kilowatt TX! Was glad when they went off just before 17:00 GMT so Sweden was in the clear
Old 24th Oct 2018, 9:07 pm   #25
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahs radios View Post
I wonder what there power is as it was stronger than SAQ and thats a 200 Kilowatt TX! Was glad when they went off just before 17:00 GMT so Sweden was in the clear
Pretty sure SAQ Grimeton only runs about 80kW output these days.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 9:35 pm   #26
Hampus
Pentode

I visited Grimeton a few years ago, it is really a amazing place. I do not have the equipment nor the knowledge to receive it but I have been reading about the event with interest.

I have not been able to find any information about the message except that it was a 'peace message', do anyone here know what the message was exactly?
Old 25th Oct 2018, 11:13 am   #27
Barraman
Tetrode

''cq saq=this is grimeton radio/saq in a transmission using the alexanderson 200 kw alternator on vlf 17.2 khz= the atlantic telegraph line was opened in 1866 ii 1866, between ireland and newfoundland, thus connecting the two continents= today we pay tribute to communications between people=in a work for building peace=nb we neither require qsl reports on this transmission=nor will we respond with qsl=regards etc. etc.
qru de saq''
Old 25th Oct 2018, 6:01 pm   #28
hannahs radios
Hexode

Thanks Russel didn't know they were on only 80 Kw these days still impressive considering the distance must be over 1000 miles between them and us
Old 26th Oct 2018, 1:53 am   #29
julie_m
Dekatron

They're not that far away from a very interesting frequency!

Perhaps they should adjust it to spot-on 17314. And then transmit a special message when the temperature reaches minus forty (not too far-fetched for that part of the world) .....
Old 26th Oct 2018, 9:47 am   #30
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
'didn't know they were on only 80 Kw these days still impressive considering the distance must be over 1000 miles between them and us'
It certainly is impressive. The machinery is run up every so-often for demonstration to visitors, but not put on-air. The other Alexanderson alternator (there used to be two) was removed to accommodate some HF equipment in 1960.

A pity the Alexanderson machine at Caernarvon in North Wales was done away with.

It's about a 600 mile sea-path from Varburg to my bit of the N. of England; maybe 750 miles to your neck of the woods. But VLF is very good at that sort of distance and terrain, and at powers lower than that, too.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Oct 2018, 12:51 pm   #31
hannahs radios
Hexode

Russel I wasn't far out on my guestimate of the distance was I? You are right VLF is very good at that for rolling over hills or over the sea doesn't really make much difference at that sort of frequency. Julie what's the very interesting number you refer to? Sorry I just didn't get what you where referreing to?
Old 26th Oct 2018, 3:25 pm   #32
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Julie whats the very interesting number you refer too? Sorry I just didn't get what you where referreing too??
I just meant that at a frequency of 17314 cycles per second, the wavelength would be 17314 metres.
Old 26th Oct 2018, 3:40 pm   #33
turretslug
Dekatron

Do I assume that the other bit is about the intersection of Fahrenheit and Celsius scales?
Old 26th Oct 2018, 4:10 pm   #34
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes