UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2010, 1:29 am   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: Illegal interference

Modern FM pirates in London have nothing whatsoever to do with 1960s offshore pirates. The culture is completely different. They are indeed mostly run by drug dealers.
Old 5th Sep 2010, 8:25 am   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewhouse View Post
Look on the bright side, you are only missing R4, most of AM is un-listenable in my house due to continuous external interference. Chances are all you can really do is cross your fingers and hope the offending station goes away soon. Could a directional FM aerial help in this situation?
Here most of the shortwave 2 to 28MHz is ruined by PLT interference (those plug into the mains network thingies), Ofcom don't seem bothered. Just wait until the latest version gets popular, that uses 2 to 300MHz.

If they are using a microwave link and you are in the path why not re inject R4! No don't, it would be illegal and probably quite dangerous.

Old 5th Sep 2010, 7:53 pm   #23
raditechman
Heptode

Sideband in Croydon said......There is a local pirate operating in my area which I have been trying to locate which has an annoying habit of 'crashing' R2 with it's over-deviated signal on 89.5 (R2 is on 89.1 from Wrotham in this area)......

As you live very close to Crystal Palace would you not be served better by receiving Radio 2 on 88.8Mhz from that transmitter.
John
Old 5th Sep 2010, 8:25 pm   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
As you live very close to Crystal Palace would you not be served better by receiving Radio 2 on 88.8Mhz from that transmitter.
John
Yes I could do BUT the 88.8 signal is only a few watts in comparison to Wrotham and you can only receive it well in parts of central Croydon (I am on the outskirts of Croydon). Most times my car radio locks on to 89.1 which in most cases is still the better signal. Seeing as most of my radio listening is in the car, I get interference from the pirate as I approach my home address. Besides it's not the point. I should be able to listen on whatever frequency I choose without having to put up with some idiots blasting their so-called 'music' over the airwaves and interfering with my station of choice. It's true that I don't normally get any problems at home with fixed radio's but I have done especially with older radio's that are unable to separate 400Khz so well on FM.

SB
Old 5th Sep 2010, 9:28 pm   #25
Station X

Discussing illegal interference in these forums isn't going to solve the problem. I doubt reporting it to the BBC who could then ask OFCOM to take enforcement action will help either, but it's worth a try.

There is the added problem that this thread, which will show up in a Google search, may attract the attention of those running illegal stations. Indeed a whole group of them tried to become members a few years back.

Therefore the moderators have decided to close this thread.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread