UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2010, 9:04 pm   #1
Gonzini
Retired Dormant Member

Default Amberley Chalks Pits Museum

Took a trip out to Amberley chalk pits museum a few weekends ago.

Last time I went must of been well over 27 years ago! Probably hadn't been open very long back then. One of the draws to going back there was the old radio shed which I remembered and bringing home some old valves with a donation in a bucket or something. It's changed a bit though the memory is fairly faded from back then.

The radio shed has moved (I think) and there are more exhibits in their own buildings now. I got lost in there for hours, fascinating bits of history. The electricity hall exhibits where pretty amazing.

Took a few pictures inside the radio shed, here's a link to a zip file if anyone wants to have a look. It's a bit dark in there so they didn't come so great and I'm still working out the new camera I brought.

http://bcs-info.zapto.org/upload/Amb...Pits_Radio.zip

It's well worth the effort to go and have a look around.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 19th Aug 2010 at 10:22 pm. Reason: FSK.
Old 19th Aug 2010, 11:13 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Amberley Chalks Pits Museum

I like the idea of "Electronic Security" in the ham shack
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Aug 2010, 12:01 am   #3
techiesteve
Pentode

Most interesting, now on my list of 'to visit' places. The 19 and 52 set's brought back memories as I used to own both. Also the Sinclair stuff. I used to own 2 Z12 amplifiers using AD149's in the ouput, but didn't spot one in the pictures. Thanks for posting the pics.

Steve
Old 20th Aug 2010, 3:47 am   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Lovely collection of radio and tvs etc. Some unusual and rare ones too . I wonder what is going on with the two console tvs you can just see in the foreground on one pic .Looks like they have been fitted with "modern" tv chassis.... 35 years ago!
Old 20th Aug 2010, 7:28 am   #5
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Much of the collection came from Ron Ham, who used to own a radio/TV shop in nearby Storrington.

On the 18/19th September there is a miniature steam weekend, and on such events, the radio/tv/electronics section may well be "manned" and perhaps more exhibits operating/operational.

In the past, there has been a talk in on 2 metres, but I dont know if that is happening this year.
Old 20th Aug 2010, 10:54 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Superb collection and place to visit,i was there years ago when Geoff Arnold opened the then new radio building.Knew Ron Ham very well a great character sadly missed,he did a hell of a lot for that place.

There used to be Radio Days but think they are long in the past,though there are still Bus days,bike etc.

Always love the mockup Lancaster with the 1155 1154 etc

David
Old 20th Aug 2010, 4:51 pm   #7
Gonzini
Retired Dormant Member

I thought the radio shed had moved, i have a memory of it being up higher on bank somewhere on the other side from where it is now. Might of been where the tea rooms are now...
I should of taken a few more pics of the electricity hall exhibits, i was lost in there for a long time...
Some of those big old switch gear panels reminded me of a big bit of gear called a "Grand master" that used to be at a theatre were i worked. It used to be used for controlling lighting over and on the stage back in the day. It had a big distro cabinet in the room next door.
We never used it for lighting when i was there but i used to use one of the 60A effects supplies(!!) for tailing in temporary mains for touring PA that came through the door. I never took any picture's of all the old gear there, its all gone now though... If digital cameras where around back then im sure i'd have some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010567sm.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	39589   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010568sm.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	39590   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010570sm.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	39591   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010579sm.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	39592   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010566sm.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	39593  

Old 21st Aug 2010, 1:30 pm   #8
brianc
Rest in Peace

What a fascinating place it looks! I will definitely go there this year - it's not very far from Reading yet I have never heard of it before - thanks Gonzini.

I see they have at least a couple of pre-war TVs, a Marconiphone 701 and an HMV 901. Is that an EKco TSC48 at the back as well?

The pictures of the switchgear remind me of the diesel installation at the Ealing Film Studios (where the Boulting Brothers' films were made) which were used for the DC lighting, a necessity for film in those days. The panel was very like the second picture and I remember thinking what the H&S police would have said about it were they around then. The two marine diesel generator sets ant the control gear was removed in the late eighties I think - scrapped, of course!
Old 21st Aug 2010, 1:47 pm   #9
percival007
Heptode

It is a fantastic place.

The 'Electric Hall' Gonzini mentions in the first post houses the Electricity Generating Plant from the Wills Tobacco Factory in Bristol.

This then was almost certainly provided with steam from the Boiler now at Crofton Pumping Station in Wiltshire.

The whole place is well worth a visit, i was 'lost' for hours in there.

James.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2624.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	39647   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2627.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	39648   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2625.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	39649  
Old 21st Aug 2010, 2:17 pm   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percival007 View Post
The 'Electric Hall' Gonzini mentions in the first post houses the Electricity Generating Plant from the Wills Tobacco Factory in Bristol.
I don't know if this is done as a regular demo but John Narborough (Hon. Curator of the electricity collection) explained how they connected "Henry" vacuum cleaners to the exhaust port of the engine. It took 3 of them to get it to actually turn. This amazed the steam locomotion types at the musuem who had ridiculed the whole idea.
Old 21st Aug 2010, 4:04 pm   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Thank's for those pictures, very nostalgic, not only was there much I used to repair but I used to own some of those items. I have one of those Sinclair amplifiers, that I used the case and power supply to build an audio filter for ham use.

Peter
Old 21st Aug 2010, 6:07 pm   #12
Magic Eye
Pentode

I was only thingking of the Chalk Pits museum a few days ago so it was a co-incidence coming upon this thread. I met Ron Ham on a few occasions at the museum as a boy in the 70s and remember him giving me lots of valves for a small donation. On one visit he also gave me a couple of what turned out to be Pye B18Ts for me to play with!! Sadly both the TVs and Ron have gone, but I always remember how helpful he was. About the same time I used to correspond with him about various radios and TVs I managed to pick up from jumble sales. Ah those were the days....

regards
Jon
Old 21st Aug 2010, 8:08 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes Jon,i also remember making donations for surplus bits before it all became offical and stuff has now to be offered first to other museums.

Happy Days!

David
Old 21st Aug 2010, 8:10 pm   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Also Ron ran a few lines on me in his vintage column in Practical Wireless and photos!
Closed Thread