UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2017, 4:32 pm   #21
pastyboy
Hexode

Default Re: Time Warp Tele (Alba) (Thorn 1500)

nice set, there was a 1500 sold about the same time new in box with a sync fault from the factory it went for about £300 regentonereg I believe had it for sale
Old 24th Mar 2017, 8:25 pm   #22
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Oh dear in a way I thought this might happen a mixed response .
What I should say as well is I do have another set the same so I didn't think it that rare unto reading the post from Steve and Lloyd .
I think I might drag it out over the weekend and have a look at it. It's not in the best condition but passable I do remember someone has nicked a couple bits out of it but not beyond replacing .Andy
Old 24th Mar 2017, 8:56 pm   #23
sexton_mallard
Hexode

A real time capsule. I'd probably take loads of photographs, mostly of the inside, especially the circuit board and leave that mains lead coiled up but connect onto the end of it! It would be nice to wake this set up gently. Perhaps make a video taken of the 'wake up' process. I think it has to be used (sparingly) and enjoyed. Youtuber 'Shango066' has unboxed and analysed a few NOS sets. Take a look at these first before deciding what to do next.

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 24th Mar 2017 at 9:05 pm.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 12:44 am   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

It's worth buying a Safebloc if you haven't already got one, just to avoid spoiling that pristine mains lead by fitting a plug!
Old 25th Mar 2017, 10:36 am   #25
brianc
Rest in Peace

What a fantastic acquisition you have made there, Andy. To look inside that set is like going back and looking at what the new art of electronics of nearly 50 years ago, was.
I agree with much of the thread direction - be very gentle with the set and get it working with as few component changes etc. as possible and run it for a half an hour a month or so to keep it in its dry state. One plus is that the majority of the components seem to be of the Philips/Mullard stable which was, as far as I can tell, the best source of the general run of passive components available - the resistors, however, left something to be desired!
Lucky guy and cherish your excellent find and, thank goodness, not a goldfish bowl in sight!
Old 26th Mar 2017, 12:50 pm   #26
AnalogueMatty
Triode

Well done with this unique find - I love the Thorn 1500 sets, I have two myself. I'm with the get him fired up brigade, after all, he was built to be used - and you'll be able to watch all the shows you missed ! ( I think that joke predates channel 4 ) best wishes, Matt
Old 28th Mar 2017, 11:36 pm   #27
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks for all the replies .
I think I am going to power it up steadily in the very neat future see what happens. I'm still not disided but I think that's the way forward.
I will get my present projects out the way first. Andy
Old 31st Mar 2017, 2:33 pm   #28
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'm rather curious as to why it came to be in a private house. I've seen NOS sets that were dead on arrival at the shop and were never collected by the supplier, like the one mentioned above. However this one doesn't seem to have had its mains lead uncoiled so I'd agree - use a 'safebloc' or just a choc-bloc connector to keep that originality.
Maybe it was bought as a spare TV that was never needed? We may never know!
Glyn
Old 1st Apr 2017, 2:10 am   #29
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Glyn .
I'm thinking the same very strange as in its day it would be a good deal of money just to leave not doing anything. I would think it must of been stored in a safe environment most of its life as its clean inside and out.I guess we will never know as I bought it from was a youngish European lady who spoke limited English . I don't think she new much about it anyway. I believe at the same time she had for sale a portable KB 405 line TV but I'm pritty sure that was not new
I'm all ready to go on the testing side I have put a loose cable tie round the flex as I don't want to accidently uncoil it.Also I wrapped 20amp fuse wire tightly round the tinned flex so as not to mark it when i put a tempory flex joiner on it
I will wait to I got some quality time and not rush things powering it up on a variac Andy
Old 1st Apr 2017, 10:08 am   #30
AidanLunn
Heptode

Maybe it was won as a prize or was given as a gift (e.g. work leaving gift) but never used owing to the owner already having a colour TV or something? Then put in storage and forgotten about?
Old 1st Apr 2017, 11:27 am   #31
Restoration73
Nonode

I can still remember unboxing and testing a new Marconiphone 20" in 1977 for sale.
Most unusual set was a 1500 with a Kenwood badge, never seen another.
Old 1st Apr 2017, 11:38 am   #32
tony brady
Hexode

Kenwood ( mixers) was owned by Thorn at the time but it still seems an odd thing to do
Old 12th Apr 2017, 1:33 am   #33
bionicmerlin
Heptode

i could do with a little help please.
I have powered the set up on the variac and had a good raster and with a rf input got a picture by holding in the tuner button. So next stage repair the tuner buttons.
With the tuner repaired on testing all well apart from a picture a bit snaking but that was getting better after maybe 15 mins. The sound is very tiny and distorted but i think that could be the speaker so i should have one from a scrap set to try.
I turned the set off and checked most capacitors to see if any was hot and all felt ok
On turning the set back on i sorted out the width setting and about 10 seconds latter i lost almost all contrast and picture break up. I got a picture back but had to adjust the vertical and horizontal to get the picture back also set the contrast to max to get a half reasonable pic.
Although the set is working its very unstable with poor contrast. I do also find if i turn the brightness up the picture distorts by pulling .
Im hoping for some help as i dont want to mess it up trying the wrong things as its a valuable set to me and i dont have the knowledge of you guys.
Andy
Old 12th Apr 2017, 8:28 am   #34
Freya
Octode

I recon there are capacitors that are protesting after being dormant for so long.
Old 12th Apr 2017, 1:28 pm   #35
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

As you want to get it going, any black electrolytics should be condemned on sight, as should the two-tone blue and white ones. The main electrolytic could well need reforming. As you've switched the TV on it will probably do that for itself the longer you leave it - either that or never reform in which case you'll need a new block.
The 47k resistor that feeds the sync separator should be changed for a 1W type.
Good luck!
Glyn
Old 12th Apr 2017, 1:41 pm   #36
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks Stephen and Glyn.
I will take your advice Only one black electrolytic. No blue and white ones but a few Plessey light blue . Whats the few on these ones. I will get back on it later when im back home Andy
Old 13th Apr 2017, 8:46 am   #37
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
Although the set is working its very unstable with poor contrast. I do also find if i turn the brightness up the picture distorts by pulling.
Low contrast with picture break up could be that coupling electrolytic in either the video or video amp base circuit. It was quite a common fault.
Old 13th Apr 2017, 12:20 pm   #38
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The high-voltage light blue ones tend to go bang unexpectedly so they are worth changing - especially the one across the mains input if you haven't disconnected it already. A picture of the chassis swung out would help us pinpoint the likely offenders.
Glyn
Old 14th Apr 2017, 1:55 am   #39
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Glyn.
i have uploaded some pics if that helps not sure how good they come out as.I have changed the mains cap and the resistor as you recommended .
Maybe you or Simon could give me a bit more info where to look i do have a diagram Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	140930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	140931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	140932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	140933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	140934  

Old 14th Apr 2017, 8:39 am   #40
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I wish I could get 'hands on' with this Ultra. All the caps look good to me and appear to be of good quality. The fault symptoms are strange for a 1500. It is possible that one or two lockfit transistors in the IF/AGC area have become faulty due to capillary ingress of damp via their connecting legs.
If you are not familiar with servicing procedures these faults can be frustrating and time consuming.

I'm still of the opinion that this receiver was delivered faulty by the manufacturer/supplier to the end customer and was never collected after a replacement was supplied. Very unusual with the Thorn group I know as I never had a faulty one delivered, hence the rarity of a NOS model turning up. I did find the odd bit of test gear inside on a couple of occasions but the receivers always worked.

It is possible that it was stored away 'just in case' a carrier knocked at the door to collect it and they never did. It can happen due to a number of reasons.

It will be interesting to arrive at a conclusion with this 1500. Good luck with it. John
Closed Thread