UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2014, 5:02 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile HV line monitor oddity?

Hi,
Not sure where to post this, so if it's misplaced, my apologies.
This little gadget appeared a few weeks back on the post of the 20Kv line above our village. It seems to be a monitor of some sort, but it isn't connected to the overhead lines. It's solar powered and has an LCD display which is showing in turn: Rouge (red) 0001, Vert (green) 0000, then: 0000 before cycling round again (my translation). There are three 'buttons' which seem to need a magnet to operate them. The large round lens is, maybe, an indicator lamp which can be seen from a distance. There are a few of these hereabouts and I wonder how they work and are there similar things in other parts of the globe?
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 026.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	87608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 024.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	87609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 025.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	87610  
Old 8th Jan 2014, 6:59 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HV line monitor oddity?

Wild guess: optical rangefinder to monitor post movement? The lens could have a photodiode behind it. What does it say on it? There appears to be a manufacturers name near the bottom.
Old 8th Jan 2014, 8:44 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: HV line monitor oddity?

And that manufacturer's name appears to be 'Schneider' - as in Schneider Electric S.A.

Al.
Old 8th Jan 2014, 8:50 pm   #4
glowinganode
Octode

It's a Fault Passage Indicator, see here.

Rob.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 12:22 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Fascinating stuff!

It monitors electric and magnetic fields to identify different fault conditions on the overhead lines.

Looks like a Flite 332 or 335 depending on how far up the pole it sits.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Jan 2014, 9:25 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: HV line monitor oddity?

Hi,
Thanks for the info. It's an Easergy Flite 339 and is mounted about two and a bit metres above the ground.
So, it detects the three fields from the three conductors with respect to earth? Does it report back to base in the event of a fault, or does it just flash the lamp?
Cheers, Pete.
Old 10th Jan 2014, 3:42 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

The web link says that it has a small radio transmitter.
Closed Thread