UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2010, 2:08 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Flux dangers?

I'm dabbling in a little project in which lead free solder must be used. Are there any alleged dangers associated with using Telux flux with non-lead solder or must I use a special flux?
Old 29th Aug 2010, 3:04 pm   #2
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Re: Flux dangers?

Telux flux is the sort of stuff plumbers use and I think relatively harmless given that you tend to be at more of a distance from it when plumbing than you are when sitting over your soldering iron.

Ordinary multicored solder has resin flux which is very dangerous to inhale the fumes from giving rise to colophony I believe, some sort of industrial asthma.
You really need fume extraction equipment for ordinary soldering so best of luck using the two together. I've used the two together many times but I'm a lot more careful these days.

And I've got a cough!

Jim
Old 29th Aug 2010, 3:25 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the reply Jim. I actually meant dangers from leeching rather than fumes. It is a water purifier that I am playing with.
Old 29th Aug 2010, 3:37 pm   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Colophony is just another name for rosin, see this link for the health risks http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg249.pdf
I find the flux used in lead free solder far worse, if I'm using it at work I end up with a blinding headache after only half an hour or so.

Jay
Old 5th Sep 2010, 10:08 pm   #5
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4XWDJim View Post

Ordinary multicored solder has resin flux which is very dangerous to inhale the fumes from giving rise to colophony I believe, some sort of industrial asthma.

Jim
Interesting - way back in the late 70's this question was posed by a work colleague at the fore runner of BT -where we used to do a lot of soldering on frames - and on kit ,and the fumes were quote choking . We never in those days got an official answer - is this now a recognised industrial disease ,as in a recent medical I got a surprised reaction from a doctor on my lung capacity -
Old 5th Sep 2010, 10:19 pm   #6
dominicbeesley
Octode

Blimey...another thing to worry about! Especially all that soldering in a 4'x5' coal hole!

Dom
Old 5th Sep 2010, 11:40 pm   #7
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicbeesley View Post
Blimey...another thing to worry about! Especially all that soldering in a 4'x5' coal hole!

Dom
And I've got a bit of a cough .
Old 5th Sep 2010, 11:44 pm   #8
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Errrrrr.
I've been soldering for about 55 years and I've always used 'Fux Cored' 60/40 solder.
I used to smoke but now I don't.
I've always leaned over the work 'cause I'm short sighted.
Am I doomed
Alan
Old 6th Sep 2010, 8:25 am   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Well I must be writing this from another place...I spent over 40 years and still am in very close proximity to 60/40 solder and must have got through hundreds of reels of the stuff to say nothing of the post G8 period. Recent medical said I had the body of a 25 year old. Just wish I looked and felt like I was 25..Nothing anyone can do about it. Damage if any has been done. Get on with your lives. J.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 9:54 am   #10
woodchips
Octode

Likewise with the 'too late now', but I did buy a cheap fan with HEPA filter from Argus, sit it behind what I am soldering, or desoldering, and it works a treat. Bob.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 10:07 am   #11
SeanStevens
Octode

Life certainly will kill you!

I had asthma in the past, and have had episodes triggered by all sorts of particulates (dust, pollen, solder fumes etc). If you are susceptible to lung related illnesses any inhalation of particulates can be hazardous.

Saying this, lots of smokers make their 90's.

All one can do is avoid the obviously nasty stuff. If it makes you feel bad, stop doing it.

SEAN