UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2019, 12:45 pm   #1
hawkeye
Diode

Default Warped radio backs.

Hi all, I am new here so can I keep my head on my shoulders please.

I have purchased a couple of old radios and the backs of them are all warped and twisted, is there a way to flatten them and make them look respectable again.

I guess I'd better say from the outset that I know nothing about the electrical side of old or new come to that of radios.
Yes I am putting a bluetooth board in them along with new speakers and a low voltage supply. I know this will upset many of you as I know you like to have a fully working radio in its original condition.
I am leaving as much of the original components on the chassis as it looks good when viewed from the back, I say as much because my first project was a very small radio with not enough room to swing a fly about inside the case.
Old 10th Feb 2020, 1:35 am   #2
murphy512
Pentode

Default Re: Warped radio backs.

I have straighten some cabinet backs by leaving them flat with a weight on top a for a couple of days. If there is damage you can use some glue to repair it.

You can connect a bluetooth unit to the gram input (if your radio has one) and use the amplifier section of the radio so it stays original and still getting the "valve sound".
Old 10th Feb 2020, 8:19 am   #3
Cobaltblue

Hi Hawkeye and welcome to the forum.

You will find most folk here pretty tolerant and Bluetooth is becoming a common fit.

It would be interesting to know what models sets you have.

Murphy512 has a good point many want "the valve sound" which means you can leave the set pretty much intact.

Word of warning though many sets have a "Live Chassis" so if you wish to do that be careful to know what you're dealing with.

This of course won't apply if you're just using the radio as a receptacle for more modern amp etc

Cheers

Mike T
Old 10th Feb 2020, 8:41 am   #4
stitch1
Heptode

I slightly dampen them with water spray, place between tea towels and pile books on top, by the time I’ve restored the radio they are usually flat again.

John
Closed Thread