UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2013, 8:40 pm   #41
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Westminster

There are 2 different versions of this book: edition 1 is the more Westminster-focussed; edition 2 is into the Mx290-series and FM1x00 synthesized stuff.

Must confess, I have a fondness for Westminsters: in the very-early-1980s I had a Ford Cortina estate fitted with a slew of the things - a 10-channel FM one on 2M, an AM one on 70.26/70.45MHz, and another AM one on 86.4375MHz (the UK RAC-motorsport comms channel) and a few other Forestry Commission frequencies we used when marshalling car rallies through Mid-Wales, Kielder forest and the Forest of Ae up on the Scottish borders.

In the mid-1980s I got upgraded to a 2.8i Granada Estate with twin 110amp-hour batteries and a few hundred watts of Pye "MOULD" green radios/control-boxes. I'm still 'officially' not allowed to go into more detail.
Old 24th Sep 2013, 9:28 pm   #42
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
There are 2 different versions of this book: edition 1 is the more Westminster-focussed; edition 2 is into the Mx290-series and FM1x00 synthesized stuff.
To be precise (in case anyone goes looking for one the other), they are different books with different titles, not an earlier and a later edition of the same book.

The earlier one which mainly featured the Westminster / Cambridge era crystalled radios is "Surplus 2-way radio conversion handbook".

This was followed up some time later by "The PMR conversion Handbook" which focused on radios of the M290 / MX290 / PFX period.

Both books also featured a few non-Pye / Philips sets but Chris Lorek's 'speciality' seemed to be the Pye / Philips stuff.

A lot of the sets were covered in good conversion articles by the same author in the now defunct 'Ham Radio Today' but the chapters on the same radios in the books have a lot more detail, so even if you have the HRT magazines or articles the books are still worth having.
Old 24th Sep 2013, 9:39 pm   #43
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
In the mid-1980s I got upgraded to a 2.8i Granada Estate with twin 110amp-hour batteries and a few hundred watts of Pye "MOULD" green radios/control-boxes. I'm still 'officially' not allowed to go into more detail.
...But you don't seem to be able to stop mentioning it!
Old 26th Oct 2013, 10:11 pm   #44
Racal Zonal
Triode

Evnin All

An interesting thread from those that remember it has brought back happy memories of Pye fiddling. Just to add to the Sys 3 Radiophone contribution, in the early 70s I had a Pye Cambridge that had a mystery Cinch connector on the side connecting to some non standard gubbins inside. It remained a mystery until I chanced on an article some years later in the IPOEE Journal. It turns out that it was intended for the London Radiophone service operated by the General Post Office. The unit via other boxes connected to a standard phone and rang a bell separate from the phone. A manual system of course, I can't remember the locations of all the base stations but I do remember that one was at Pimlico. This system pre-dated Sys 3 and then came the Lancashire system I think but that's another story.
Closed Thread