UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2009, 1:26 pm   #1
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Smile R1155 - guide to restoration

Has anyone published a recent step-by-step guide to restoring an 1155 - and if not, would anyone on the Forum like to collaborate in providing one?

I'm thinking in terms of covering everything from building an external psu/audio amp to intitial 'cold' tests on an unmodded 1155 through stage-by-stage 'hot' tests replacing caps, dodgy wiring etc

As a journalist, I could help with the words, if others could provide the technical knowledge.

I've recently unearthed an 1155L from a house-clearance - which looks complete (apart from DF valves and onnections between the df stage and front-panel meter balance/meter deflection contols) which could be used an an 'example'.

While there is a mass of material available about individual aspects of the 1155, a recent complete guide to restoration using easily available components seems lacking.

Given the continuing interest in the receiver (demonstated by crazy e-Bay prices...), there is surely a need for a complete simple-to-follow restoration guide? It needn't be 'restoration' to original spec (df functions could be ignored...) - more returning an iconic receiver to safe working order...

Comments gratefully received - either on the Forum or direct to my e-mail...

Enthusiast (David)
Old 28th Feb 2009, 2:51 pm   #2
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1155 - guide to restoration

Hi,

I have been meaning to restore an R1155 for sometime now and certainly would be interested in working with you. I have a complete unit here which is in a good state however needs to be carefully checked over.

It is not that straightforward to power these units as in their original state the chassis is not earthed, there are technical reasons to do with the biasing of the valves I believe. Anyway I am sure there is plenty of solid expertise to draw on in the forum and it would make an excellent project.

I think a design for an external powersupply and amplifier needs to be produced first. I have assembled the componenets over this last 2 years to be able to get going.

Mike
Old 28th Feb 2009, 2:54 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

You could look at Chas Millers book on repairing the R1155.......

Sean
Old 28th Feb 2009, 3:03 pm   #4
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: R1155 - guide to restoration

Thanks for the fast response, Mike - judging by the number of 'views' on the Forum (60 plus in a couple of hours....), there is interest 'out there'....

Having several 'example 1155's' to work with will be useful.

Fingers crossed that Forum members who have completed restorations and are willing to share their expertise will also step-forward...

Best wishes - and thanks again for being the first of what I hope will become a thriving group....

David

Last edited by Enthusiast; 28th Feb 2009 at 3:08 pm. Reason: need to change th literal 'will' in line 5 to willing ....
Old 28th Feb 2009, 5:34 pm   #5
Hans_SA7AUY
Triode

Bo Samuelsson in Sweden has restored an R1155 and you'll find it at this web-site.
Old 28th Feb 2009, 7:36 pm   #6
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Sean and Hans,

What I'm looking for is a 'step-by-step' guide rather than the available geneal descriptions of fault finding as provided by Chas (and, yes, his repair booklet is useful) or the (fascinating) personal accounts provided by Bo (again, excellent in its own way own way.

(I've Googled "R1155 articles" and have a good idea what's already available....and am a huge fan of Chas Miller)

I'd like to see an account which reads like a "construction" article for beginers.....For the external psu/output stage, for example, a list of everything required and where to obtain it (commercial source for the transformer, silicon diodes or valve , chassis etc etc) - along with a component lay-out sketch as well as cicuit diagram; how to prepare the chassis etc Plus a detailed description of how the psu/output stage actually works.....

And then, for the 1155, a list of not only what what tests to make, but how to make them (again, back-to-basics stuff - use of multimeter etc )....leading onto how to identify, and (if necessary) replace (with sources for replacements) specific caps, resistors, valves etc. Plus descriptions of how each stage of the receiver works.

Too many articles on the R1155 assume too much technical knowledge - and while making impressive reading, don't help less technically adept people replicate 1155 restoration - or, at least, restoring to safe working-order.

While I don't like the title of the 'Dummies' series of books (people lacking knowledge of any subject are not (necessarily) dummies, at least they are models of clear writing reaching and helping vast readerships.....

It would be great if the Forum could do something similar for the 1155 - it is long overdue.......

David
Old 28th Feb 2009, 7:49 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

This website http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/military/r1155_3.htm
run by one of our own forum members has a complete article on it and http://www.g4cvu.co.uk/ specializes in spare parts.

There's lots of information here http://goto.glocalnet.net/bosradio/m...niR1155eng.htm
as well.

Rich.
Old 28th Feb 2009, 8:04 pm   #8
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Recent articles, Richard.....? (Bo, doesn't have the detail.....)

D
Old 28th Feb 2009, 9:11 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I think I see what you are after David [and I'm very limited technically myself] but I don't think your detailed requirements are really how it works as [rightly or wrongly] there is a traditional assumption that basic skills are aqquired and then built on with assistance [as per the experts on here]. Apart from this, I suspect that producing such detailed instructions would require someone to do a vast amount of work, especially re a set like this with it's "floating" PSU arrangement or [say] the AR88. It's not really like the CB or Build A Computer guides is it?
The upside of that is it's possible to ask very basic questions here without being derided [thank goodness].
I'd recommended that article by Bo myself previously, not just the renovation but the DF bits he put back and was using to track the remaining SW Broadcasters in Eastern Europe-unusual. I also liked the way he had utilised a computer audio stage but that bit wouldn't help you at all I suppose. I've got one of these sets to work on myself [sometime] and wouldn't turn my nose up at a "restoration by numbers" text but I can't see it happening. Of course there are many more R1155 articles around than have been referred to already I've got a few. I'll look to see if any get closer to your ideal but I doubt it. The 60's PW series on the 19 set was pretty detailed and perhaps close to your suggestion but an exception, I think! Perhaps I will be proved wrong? Dave W
Old 28th Feb 2009, 9:34 pm   #10
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, Dave, I think you have identified what I'm looking for.... although I'm not exactly seeking a "by numbers" approach. And as a GO amateur, I'm not in the CB category either..... (Nothing wrong with CB, either..... many licensed amateurs entered the hobby via this route....)

But I did grow up using transistors, so my valve knowledge is limited.....but my interestin valve-era technology - and specifically the 1155 - isn't.

The Radio Constructor, WW and PW articles on the 1155 were written for an audience which grew up with valves during a time when home-construction usng them was widespread. For this reason, they assume a much greater knowledge of 1155-era construction than I have (although no spring-chicken....). And while providing interesting background, they don't really help.....

Given the number of Forum members who have successfully worked on 1155's and their helpful nature, I still hope one or more will be willing to provide a simplified updated guide.......

I would be only too glad to help with the words.....this is my area of 'professional' expertise....

David
Old 28th Feb 2009, 10:33 pm   #11
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Hi ,

I think also that alot of the articles for the R1155 were about modifying them for general SWl use or amateur radio use. This involved what some on this forum would regard as "butchering".

What I think is being tried here is a complete restoration to original working order albeit providing an external PSU and amplifier for obvious reasons.

This may take along time but with the effort of somebody producing the documentation would almost provide a handbook

Mike
Old 28th Feb 2009, 11:05 pm   #12
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Exactly right, Mike.

My 1155L is unmodded and complete (except for DF valves/section - which I don't want to 'restore' )...and I asume your 1155 is also complete, but unmodded?

My aim (and I assume yours?) is (with the addition of an external manins psu and small amp to drive a L/S) to restore an 1155 to working order as a receiver.

With well over 800 'hits' on the first day of posting, it seems we are not alone in expressing interest in seeking Forum expertise to provide a step-by-step guide.

We know the expertise exsits on the Forum..... we just need to tempt it into the open...

Clearly, nothing that meets our needs exists at present - as a detailed trawl via seach-engines proves.

David
Old 28th Feb 2009, 11:50 pm   #13
joe
Rest in Peace

Hi Dave
FWIW I'll add my two penn'orth have a look at http://www.cordite.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ It looks interesting.

Joe
Old 28th Feb 2009, 11:55 pm   #14
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Seen it, Joe.

Again, great on general over-view and personal observation, but lacking the step-by-step instructions required.....

D
Old 1st Mar 2009, 12:16 am   #15
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Well I said I might be proved wrong David. You've peaked my interest now.
I got my set at a good price by being honest with the vendor about probable level of interest and value [always the best way I think]. In the end he came back and said "do you want it for a reasonable amount or not?" As you imply, it's puzzling that the 1155 is the focus of quite so much attention and cost -perhaps it's a generational thing? Or maybe the Lancaster Bomber history?

Sorry for any assumptions on my part it's hard to tell by telegraph.
The only thing I would say about the theory re an assumed 60's familiarity with valve technology is that [as I recall] not everybody was up to a more experienced level. [I wasn't then or now for example]. I am looking forward to a new and defnitive... "Guide to the 1155" though. Cheers, Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 1st Mar 2009 at 12:22 am.
Old 1st Mar 2009, 12:34 am   #16
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, Im not entireley sure that it would be feasable to write a step by step guide - for a start, finding any 1155 that has survived relatively unscathed is not a certainty. Given the number of production variants, and modifications the set suffered during it's life (official ones) any how to would really have to draw on a huge knowledge base.

That being said, I have repaired a number of these, and not being of an age where valve tech was the norm, I have had to do things in the time honoured tradition of self teaching.

Im happy to help with the idea, just question the reality behind writing such a guide - it would require someone to sit with a set and repair it from scratch, and to summarise the whole process of fault finding every stage of the set, even if said fault did not exist....

Lots of work, you would end up with a book about the size of the Air Pub "Notes for Wireless Mechanics"

Sean
Old 1st Mar 2009, 11:13 am   #17
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Sean,

Your "happpy to help" response is exactly what I'd hoped to find on the Forum....

And, yes, tight editing and summarising skills will be needed to keep any Guide to reasonable length - along with a well-thought out editorial structure (which is where my journalism skills may help......) Deciding what to put in will be as important as what is left out.

As MichaelR points out, starting with step-by-step instructions for building a mains psu/audio amp might be the way to begin. This would be required for any 1155 in near original condition - ie with Jones plugs...

I know there are designs available online (for example, WW July 1946 using a KT63 and U50). While I'd be happy to use valves, perhaps use of modern rectifier diodes and (even...) a LM386 chip for the audio amp could be discussed?

I think using components easily obtained at minimum cost (given the credit crunch)from nationwide outlets like Maplins shoud be a consideration. Sourcing a transformer (albeit one not required to drive the D.F. valves) might be the hardest (and most expensive ..) component to source. Is a suitable one commercially available?

The biggest problem I find with many circuits suggested for the 1155 is the absence of a component lay-out diagram - translating circuit diagrams to practical lay-out on a chassis is something that many people find hard and should be addressed by any 'Guide".....

But enough from me.....

It would be good if more among the 1.000 plus viewers of the thread step-forward - especially if, like Sean, you can offer technical help.

Best wishes,

David
Old 1st Mar 2009, 11:48 am   #18
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Hi David,

There are a lot of components that can be used from old broadcast receivers so transformers etc should not be a problem.

Mike
Old 1st Mar 2009, 2:11 pm   #19
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

David,

I have had chance to have a brief look at the circuit of the R1155 and to me the chassis is not floating but is in fact earthed. However with respect to chassis the power supply needs are for two voltages. Approx +220volts and -30v wrt to earth.

http://www.shlrc.mq.edu.au/~robinson...m/R1155psu.gif

http://www.shlrc.mq.edu.au/~robinson.../R1155bias.gif

I have the components for this power supply which I was able to get from one of our forum members a while ago.

if you wished to produce a suitable semiconductor design this could quite easily be achieved and may be use an LM380N for the audio amplifier.

Regards
Mike
Old 1st Mar 2009, 2:30 pm   #20
Enthusiast
Retired Dormant Member

Great research, Mike - I'm even more convinced the 'Guide' project is do-able!

Best wishes,

David
Closed Thread