UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2019, 5:00 pm   #1
keogaida
Retired Dormant Member

Default Yaesu FT101Z motorboating sound

When I switch on my Yaesu FT101Z, on main bands ie 20m, 40m or 80m etc. on receive I get a sound like motorboating which seems to be tunable, any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks
Old 29th Sep 2019, 5:05 am   #2
M3VUV51
Banned

Default Re: Yaesu FT101Z motorboating sound

if it was me the first thing i would check is all the psu voltages against the schematic,then caps for high esr.
Old 29th Sep 2019, 12:28 pm   #3
Richard675
Pentode

Fist thing to do is plug in a dummy load then see if the noise is still present.
Old 29th Sep 2019, 8:07 pm   #4
keogaida
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, Checked out with Dummy load connected, Same symptoms. Thanks Richard. I'll now start checking out the voltages and capacitors it sounds like an electrolytic has gone o/c. need to source voltage values and some capacitors. Thank you M3VUV51
Old 29th Sep 2019, 8:45 pm   #5
Richard675
Pentode

The old 101Z is prone to dodgy switches due to aging. I would give all of them a good working over before anything else especially the push button switch bank under the vfo
Closed Thread