UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2012, 10:00 am   #1
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Default Clansman VRC 321

Hi There!
I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with the Clansman VRC 321 radio? I recently purchased this model from a surplus dealer as untested hoping my luck was in. It is cosmetically in new unissued condition.The problem is on startup, the bleeps continue forever, which should stop after 5-10 seconds as the set is brought into life. I read somewhere that a guy had a similar problem which was caused by a thermal switch that should kick in. Any ideas or solutions would be very much appreciated. Brian. GOCGI
Old 21st Jun 2012, 6:55 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Clansman VRC 321

From memory, they had 'issues' with contacts on some relays going high-resistance if not used for a long time: there was an EMER about this.

--G6Tanuki
Old 21st Jun 2012, 7:49 pm   #3
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Clansman VRC 321

Thanks for that! I will look into that, sounds promising:
Old 21st Jun 2012, 8:21 pm   #4
radiotircoed
Pentode

Well, yes but a long time ago. I was on the first Royal Signals Technicians course for servicing the 321/353...
Old 21st Jun 2012, 8:40 pm   #5
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Talking Re: Clansman VRC 321

So you are wised up on these sets. Just the person to write a useful fault finding book on them, as there seems to be very little info on the web. Cheers, Brian.
Old 21st Jun 2012, 10:27 pm   #6
wave solder
Hexode

I had a VRC321 that did just this, the fault on mine was an IC (the only one) on Board 1E which is positioned on the top right of the front panel when looking at the front of the radio. In this particular case the top had been knocked off the top of the IC. A replacement IC solved the problem.

The internal power supply on mine also had a fault that caused this to happen, it is worth checking the voltage rails.

My experience with military equipment is that if the condition looks good, then it is a sign of it not being used due to a fault. The more battered it looks the more likely it is to work.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 4:46 am   #7
radiotircoed
Pentode

I'll dig out my notes and manuals this weekend...
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 6:09 am   #8
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, Radio Tircoed I would be very grateful. I think you are right about the condition and lack of use Wave Solder.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 3:04 pm   #9
Ben-G4BXD
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave solder View Post
My experience with military equipment is that if the condition looks good, then it is a sign of it not being used due to a fault. The more battered it looks the more likely it is to work.
--------------------

I agree. I have had great looking sets that were duff and manky looking sets that worked great. Maybe the duff ones end up on the QM stores shelf, only coming down when sold off.

VRC321, mine beeps but then thankfully turns on. The fact it beeps for every freq change is ****** annoying though. Also, on ssb, with the external l.s. connected the feedback of ones own speech in the mic is very loud. OK on AM but too much on ssb. Even turning down the speaker itself jut means all the audio is low, not just the talkback. Will need to go inside and fix it so the speakers muted during tx.

Ben.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 6:58 pm   #10
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Talking Re: Clansman VRC 321

Cheers Ben.
Old 24th Jun 2012, 7:24 pm   #11
radiotircoed
Pentode

Not managed to get my documentation but the early 321's had terrible trouble with dry joints particularly around relay bases so G6 Tanuki may be on the right track. I Will get back with some pointers...
Old 24th Jun 2012, 7:45 pm   #12
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Question Re: Clansman VRC 321

Thanks! I have been finding my way around the set today but not seen the relays, are they inside the modules? I did a voltage check on the psu rail and found some of the voltages are going negative but can't initially see why.
Cheers, Brian.
Old 24th Jun 2012, 10:24 pm   #13
wave solder
Hexode

I presume you have found this useful document on VMARS website?:-

http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsle...321_repair.pdf
Old 25th Jun 2012, 7:13 am   #14
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, it was very useful and the only document I could find, but it's a good start.

Last edited by Radspad; 25th Jun 2012 at 7:14 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 25th Jun 2012, 9:51 am   #15
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radspad View Post
So you are wised up on these sets. Just the person to write a useful fault finding book on them, as there seems to be very little info on the web. Cheers, Brian.
Brian,

There's a good reason why the EMERs are not spread around the web, and that is that they are still Crown copyright. So I can't post them here or anywhere else on the net.

I only have some of the VRC-321 EMERs, but they may prove useful. These are however freely available, along with the "training notes" from the Royal School of Signals which include full circuit diagrams, provided you undertake not to sell them or put them on the web. I have been distributing Clansman docs like this for sometime, in return for a written undertaking that they are "only for personal use" (i.e what you have to sign when you take copies from a library). I've just put together the EMERs on CD for the VRC322 system for someone else.

PM me, and I will sort you out.

Richard
Old 25th Jun 2012, 5:06 pm   #16
Radspad
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Clansman VRC 321

Hello Richard!
Thanks very much for that,
Brian. G0CGI
Old 1st Nov 2013, 1:28 am   #17
Mark Gluch
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Gentlemen!

I've recently acquired a VRC 321, and it has the "dreaded" continous beeping at power up. Have heard that it may be possible to set the frequency selectors to 1.5 MHz, and power up and it will reset. Can anyone verify?

Thanks

Mark
Closed Thread