UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2018, 6:21 am   #1
Gflloyd
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR record player deck cam changer stuck.

Hi all,

I took apart this BSR record player and re lubricated it and after replacing the metal cog looking gear and putting it back together the cam changer is now stuck in the position in the picture. It moves slightly back and forward but won’t return to the usual position and now the stylus can’t move. Any advice?

I’d like to see what’s going on underneath but I am struggling to release the transport screws from underneath (any tips on releasing this would be great, I’ve screwed them in far enough to just access beneath but can’t release the screws) see the second image

Thanks
Georgia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5012428-4FC7-4752-BFAA-130EACF2D723.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	164680   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2F8A2CB-A5CC-4513-BD2D-D29BAE4AA2EC.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	164681  
Old 16th Jun 2018, 11:08 am   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: BSR record player deck cam changer stuck.

Hello and welcome. Have you taken a look at the 'stickies' at the top of the page. You should find your BSR model there. As to the transit screws - you should find a little clip on the end of the screw under the deck - flip it so that it's in line with the screw, then you should be able to pull the screws through the holes in the mounting board. Good luck.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 1:55 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It looks like this is fitted into a Radiogram/Stereogram. You will need to remove the rear cover and lift it upwards from the inside. Do ensure the mains plug is removed from the wall first. When lifting upwards, do not put excessive strain on the high voltage leads to the deck's motor and the screened leads to the radio chassis.....However, it may not be necessary to do this as most of the essential work on the Cam/Pawl assembly is usually done from above. Do refer to the Stickie's up top here.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 5:02 pm   #4
peter_sol
Octode

The spindle is facing the wrong way. The pawl at the top should point away from a point midway between the pickup arm and the over arm.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 7:59 pm   #5
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Georgia,

Just a thought, I always move the cam pawl (the part you arrowed) back towards the outer edge of the deck, it will click into place (just about) and stay there, then re fit the cam wheel (after applying a small amount of the appropriate type of grease in the cam slot (but making sure you get none on the trip mech) turning it slowly clockwise until the pawl sits in the cam slot. (the underside of the cam gear.) the cam wheel will then drop to the correct position to allow you to re fit the cam wheel retaining C clip.

Be careful when re fitting the cam wheel, as the cam pawl can very easily slip back to the position shown in your pics. If it does, remove the cam wheel, and move the cam pawl back again, then re fit the cam wheel. (if at first you don't succeed ……………)

I always after re fitting the cam gear, slowly turn the cam wheel clockwise, to ensure all is working as it should before fitting the turntable platter.

Also as Peter pointed out, remove and re fit the auto-change stacking spindle in the correct position.

Hope this helps,

Ted.

Last edited by stumted2; 16th Jun 2018 at 8:08 pm. Reason: Missing info
Old 16th Jun 2018, 9:23 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

If neither the tonearm nor the cam follower will move, it's possible the linkage to the follower has come out of position; and is now trying to move the wrong way, and fouling on something.

Gentle wiggling whilst videoing the other side with a mobile phone camera -- and giving a running commentary, which will help reconcile things during playback -- ought to reveal the problem.