UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2010, 7:38 pm   #1
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

Default My new you tube page

I have recently opened a new YouTube page which contains dance band music from the 1920's, 30's and 40's. All are from records in my collection. I have a few other themed videos like one featuring sound restoration techniques that I use for my videos as well as another featuring the labels from 16 " radio transcription disks that weren't available to the public.

Please drop by and let me know what you think.

Here is the link to the page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwingBandHeaven

Hope you enjoy it.

RJ
Old 28th May 2010, 10:15 pm   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: My new you tube page

Hello.

The Seekers , Georgy Girl. Outstanding.

Regards Kev.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:35 pm   #3
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hoyland View Post
Hello.

The Seekers , Georgy Girl. Outstanding.

Regards Kev.
Yes, I also think that video is great....lost count of the times i've watched that one
Old 28th May 2010, 10:40 pm   #4
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

....recorded as part of a mini concert of 5 songs at the Myer Bowl, Melbourne in 1967.
Old 29th May 2010, 1:21 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

The Georgy Girl clip is strangely moving [although I would have thought it all very old hat at the time]. The audience responses are very evocative, starting with the chap in the front row and his Super 8 camera. There is just a sheer enthusiasm on stage and out front but then the Antipodes, the USA and especially Europe were way behind the curve at that time. Unfortunately the Redgrave family have recently had three deaths in a short space of time. The second of these was Lyn who starred in the film for which the song was written. An excellent Page RJ. Dave W
Old 29th May 2010, 7:38 am   #6
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Mainly not music to my taste but certainly interesting from a historical perspective. I looked through the list for anything by the bands with whom my father played, Troise and his Mandoliers and Felix Mendelssohn & His Hawaiian Serenaders.
Old 29th May 2010, 10:24 pm   #7
ReelToReel
Retired Dormant Member

Hi RJ,

Very nicely done , just had an enjoyable half hours listening, Never been much of a seekers fan but strangely it was my favorite video ?

Cheers Mark
Old 30th May 2010, 10:02 am   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for the link to your webpage BBH - a nice eclectic mix.

Having a trawl there brought back happy memories!

As to Judith Durham and the Seekers, their first number one hit was the surprise chart-topper "I'll Never Find Another You" written by Tom Springfield. The Seekers were the first Oz group ever to hit No.1 internationally.

On youtube singing it in 1968:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ga9Bs4fzSY

"The Carnival Is Over" was also a huge hit and now officially ranks at No.30 in the "UK Top 100 Best-Selling Singles Of All Time. I think that’s my personal favourite. In 1965, in the UK it spent 3 weeks at #1 - 17 weeks on chart. It’s here at the end of their UK tour, just before the shock break-up of the group when Judith Durham walked away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nze8B39OB0k

In 2003 we saw her perform solo in Hull on her UK `Diamond Tour` so named as she was 60 years old on July 3 that year. The tour ran to 35 dates, playing to ecstatic houses and huge standing ovations at every venue. I was quite surprised to see how diminutive she was – she looked lost on the stage, but she still sounded as good as ever she did.

She’s still active and making records. EG:

•2009 Judith Durham Up Close & Personal – Volume 1 [CD]
•2009 Judith Durham’s Advance Australia Fair ... A Lyric For Contemporary Australia [CD]

Anyone interested can watch her interview on the Today Show (Australia) June 16 2009.

Bearing in mind that she was in her early 20s when at the top of the charts and is now in her late 60s, as with all of us, the ravages of time have taken their toll, but she’s a lovely lady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOUY...eature=related

“I’ll never find another You” made Judith Australia's very first international 'pop princess' and pin-up girl. Then there was Olivia Newton John (AKA ‘Neutron Bomb!), Natalie Imbruglia, whose debut album Left of the Middle (1997) sold over 6 million copies worldwide, and of course, Kylie. (Save the best till last!)

David.

(Rambling again).
Old 30th May 2010, 11:32 pm   #9
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes my music tastes are very eclectic to say the least and include stuff from early 20th C right through to modern stuff!

Just in case your interested there is some more colour footage from the same Seekers concert at the Meyer Music Bowl in Melbourne:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwingBan...27/Mpd_9l9w4RI

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwingBan...23/p0GEGw_BxUQ

Apparently they only had 5 songs rehearsed for their guest appearance and had to stop at that point even though the fans wanted more. Never been much of a Seekers fan before but these performances are really special.
Old 31st May 2010, 4:51 pm   #10
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

I was just watching the Bach Tocata vid. and noticed that often keys he's not touching are going down. It looks like the pedals are linked to the bass octave(s) of the lower keyboard.
Closed Thread