UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2018, 3:37 pm   #1
Vakito227
Hexode

Default PYE CTM.17/S Chassis Removal

Hi all, I've recently acquired a Pye CTM.17/S printed circuit board television from the late 50s, it's been stored in a cellar since the late 70s and a lot of the screws were either rusty or seized which doesn't fill me with much confidence about the circuit but oh well.

However before I start worrying about all that I need to get the chassis out. I've removed the 2 screws at the back of the chassis along with the inner knobs at the front of the set but I am stuck on how to remove the outer knobs, I can't seem to find a way to remove them without breaking them. Has anyone worked on one of these sets before and knows how to do it?

Thanks Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	165092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	165093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	165094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	165095  
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 3:57 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: PYE CTM.17/S Chassis Removal

I am guessing that is Not a circlip on the picture?If not then thread or thin insulated wire behind the knobs and a gentle pull ,may work.
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 4:17 pm   #3
Vakito227
Hexode

Hi, yep they were just a push on fit that has seized to the shaft over the years, took quite a bit of force to loosen them actually. Nice one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	165096  
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 8:19 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

A hand wired version of the CTM17S was also made, that's the Pye Continental I have in the shop. Nice simple circuit, direct line sync, mean level vision AGC, all very straight forward in terms of design. A lot easier to fix than the Ekco TCG318 is.
Four versions of the 17/21S chassis. Hand wired, one with two PCB boards and the later single PCB chassis. Some sets do have flywheel line sync.
A good idea to pass a small DC current through the line transformer windings to drive out any moisture.
MW43-69 CRT.
If your set is the twin PCB version I have a spare RV16 service manual. Date May 1957.

DFWB.
Closed Thread