UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2013, 5:48 pm   #1
newstart
Triode

Default Speaker cloth cleaning.

Hi all,

I have a Dansette and a Bush record player and both the front speaker cloths are in need of a clean. Can they be cleaned in situ, they are not actually cloth but feel like plastic (they are original). If they can be cleaned without removing them what would you use?
I know you can buy new one's but it looks a daunting task to fit them.
Can anyone help?

Dave.
Old 11th Jan 2013, 6:25 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: speaker cloth cleaning.

I do this the lazy way. Prop the rear of the player so the grille is slanting forwards, then just spray on some foam cleaner. Have some kitchen roll to hand and just wipe the cleaner off as it runs down. Try to prevent too much cleaner getting onto any rexine though as it may lift the colouring. Dab it off rexine rather than wipe it off.

The idea of slanting the grille forward is to prevent too much cleaner running through to the inside the cabinet and onto the 'speaker cone. No doubt some would advise removing the 'speaker first but I don't bother.

If a grille cloth is of a natural material, there's a risk of it drying warped but the synthetic cloth does not, of course, carry that risk.
Old 13th Jan 2013, 4:36 pm   #3
newstart
Triode

Default Re: Speaker cloth cleaning.

Hello Darren.
Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go.

Dave.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 8:55 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

I've got several paint brushes of different sizes (home decorating type) that I've cut the bristles down to 1/2", 3/4" and 1" length , to make 'stippling' brushes and I spray aerosol foam cleaner onto them and 'stipple ' the foam into/onto the grill.

The shorter the bristles the harder the stippling action, so start off with a longer length bristle and thereby a lighter stippling action and so on.
Old 18th Jan 2013, 9:48 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I have found that car upholstery aerosol cleaner works very well on synthetic fibre speaker cloth. I use the same brush-on technique as Camtechman and it's pretty foolproof.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread