UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2006, 9:21 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Piper (P116U) knobs.

I've owned this little chap for some time but today decided to dig it out and give it a much needed clean and to let it run for a while.

What I wish to know concerns the on/off/vol knob. Did these ever have a marker line on them ( like the red and black ones on the wavechanger ) ? From what pics I can find, including within this website, it appears not - so I'm assuming my radio (pic attached) is as it was originally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye P116U.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	3337  
Old 8th Apr 2006, 9:31 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye Piper (P116U) knobs.

Hi Darren, I have one of these sets and there are no signs of any markings on the on/off/volume knob, just the wavechange knob. Looks exactly like yours, so I would think this is correct .

Regards, Mick.
Old 8th Apr 2006, 9:56 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I agree with Mick. The one I had had no lines on the volume knob either.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Apr 2006, 10:17 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

How does the tuning knob work on these? Mine was bodged up with glue!
Old 8th Apr 2006, 10:54 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There's no reduction drive - the knob in the middle is just fixed to the large clear one. So the middle knob serves no useful purpose.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Apr 2006, 11:01 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P
How does the tuning knob work on these? Mine was bodged up with glue!
The shaft is ΒΌ" diameter and with no flat (ie not D cross section). Over this sits a coil spring. The tuning 'dial' fits on the shaft and should push back against the spring. In the centre of the dial either side of the shaft hole and at 180deg to each other are two rectangular lugs. These lugs are integral (ie part of the perspex dial moulding) and these lugs engage with two slots in the reverse of the tuning knob. The aforementioned spring ensures the ensemble remains mated. The knob then locks onto the shaft via the usual grubscrew arrangement.

If the grubscrew is overtightened the knob will split, but if it's undertightened the dial will continue to turn on the shaft when the tuning hits the end of its travel .

I presume this arrangement applies to both the P115U and P116U; the latter using a tuning gang and the former, I believe, using permeability tuning.

(Paul) The idea of the central tuning knob and the outer raised rim of the perspex dial/wheel is, supposedly, to give rapid tuning via the knob and fine tuning via the outer rim - such as you can 'fine tune' with direct drive.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Aug 2007 at 3:39 pm. Reason: Briefened.
Closed Thread