UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2011, 6:33 pm   #1
Telstra2017
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mystery Object

Hello!

I have just registered as a member as I am hoping to find out something about the following object.

I work for a local charity in Hove, East Sussex and part of our fundraising activities is selling donated objects.

It does help if we know what we have got!

I am certainly not trying to sell this item on the forum as I am sure you have rules for that sort of thing but I would appreciate any information.

The box is made of oak and is roughly a 4" cube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	50324   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	50325   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 4.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	50326   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 5.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	50327   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 3.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	50328  

Old 29th Apr 2011, 6:33 pm   #2
Telstra2017
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mystery Object

And more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 6.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	50329   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 7.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	50330  
Old 29th Apr 2011, 7:09 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Mystery Object

It looks like something for adjusting the filament current of the valves in an old radio receiver. 1920's? I'm not sure why it is in a separate box. Someone on here is bound to know.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 8:11 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Something doesnt look quite right.PH normally means headphones,then i look how rough the hole has been cut in the side.Also GPO stamp makes me think a crystal set once?

David GM8JET

PS and rewired.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 8:43 pm   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Whatever it is, it's not much use on its own.
Unless someone has the corresponding equipment, I'd say it's best used to house a newly-built crystal set or similar.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 9:00 pm   #6
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I'd agree with it being originally a crystal set which has been scrapped and the bits used for another project. I seem to recall reading that some radios of the day used a pot in series with a valve heater to control the volume.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 9:03 pm   #7
Telstra2017
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info.

I was surprised by how bright and crisp the 'logo' is. I also wondered about the BBC part of the symbol.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 9:41 pm   #8
murphyv310
Dekatron

As the others say it's not quite right.
Why not offer it on here anyway, its a nice box and it could be made into a nice crystal set. It has to be worth a tenner.
good luck
Old 29th Apr 2011, 9:41 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

They also switched extra valves in and out of circuit to save the battery? 1924 AJS F4 for one model.

David
Old 29th Apr 2011, 9:46 pm   #10
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Mystery Object

Hi,
In those far off days radio equipment, headphones, sets, etc. were "approved" by the General Post Office and a royalty was paid to the BBC for every item thus marked sold. That's how the BBC made their money. you weren't allowed to operate equipment that wasn't thus approved and homebrewers were supposed to use only approved components. I think you were required to have a wireless receiving licence as well. Playing radio was an expensive hobby way back then.
That's how I understand it, anyway. I'm happy to be corrected.
Cheers, Pete
Old 29th Apr 2011, 10:45 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for posting. It does look as though the the Crystal Set box was adapted as technology moved on to valves and using a power supply! The logo/stamp may have been protected inside the lid Telstra, particularly as the original set would be a delicate item anyway. Not much value but there is a master list being compiled re "approved" sets so, if you can find a serial No anywhere, that info would be usefull ie to ID a set that we at least know has been dismantled. I thought that the No was usually a part of the stamp but I'm largely ignorant about the Crystal Set era.
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 29th Apr 2011 at 10:53 pm. Reason: extra
Old 29th Apr 2011, 11:47 pm   #12
Telstra2017
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks very much to all those who posted.
I will have another look for marks and numbers when I go back on Tuesday, I will let you know
Old 4th May 2011, 7:55 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Telestra, there were items called "Radio Brix" on sale in the late 20's.
These were sub circuits, valveholders etc that could be used to build up a et "Lego" fashion, I have some of the instruction books in my library and they did describe a multiple valve set where one valve could be switched out for local station use. The rheostat was used with bright emitter valves to set the filament current (by observation) as the battery voltage ran down it was possible to keep the set operating optimally, and conversly to prevent shortening the valve's life with too high a voltage on a fresh battery.

Ed
Old 5th May 2011, 12:49 pm   #14
HMV 1120
Hexode

I believe the "Type Approved" BBC stamp was in use during Nov.1922-Sept.24. My September 1924 crystal set has switched to the "Entirely British Manufacture" stamp by this date.

I don't know if this stamp was applied only to complete sets or to component assemblies as well? Your stamp looks so elaborate and is so prominently displayed that I suspect it is from the earlier Nov 22 - Oct 23 period in which all commercially manufactured sets had to be type approved by the Post Office. The regulations were relaxed after this date, although many manufacturers continued to display such stamps. Early sets also had to have a GPO registration number that, if present, could aid identification.

I agree with Ed as to its possible re-use with bright emmitter valves, but if so then its career as a crystal set was particularly short as the dull emitter valves were introduced around 1925-26 and were firmly established by 1928.

Robs
Old 9th May 2011, 12:01 pm   #15
Telstra2017
Retired Dormant Member

I have found a number on the base of the box.

It looks like it has been stamped in blue ink. It is rather faint but looks like E199.
Old 15th May 2011, 9:51 pm   #16
Station X

This item is now being sold on eBay in aid of charity:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200607982407

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread