UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2005, 10:57 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Pye P31 Bq

I have just got one of these from Ebay. The little push on-off switch fell apart when I tried to free it. I have used a minature DPDT switch.
NO, PLEASE DONT BURN ME AT THE STAKE!!

It's playing Magic 1161 at present. Strange thing is that Medium Wave is very soft, I need the vlume up full. However on Long Wave I get Radio 4 booming in and cannot run it on full volume.

At present I only have a photocopy from Newnes that relates to the MBQ variant and I am not sure how many differences there are.
Therefore I have changed nothing but the switch.

I hope that I have explained adequately. I have little experience of valve portables apart from a Stella version of a Phillips G77 that got thrown out, much to my regret. That seemed the same on MW but memory is uncertain.

Suggestions as to likely culprits welcome.
Old 31st Jul 2005, 12:59 am   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye P31 Bq

Hi Neil
You could do worse than check the RF/IF alignment or valve(DF96 or similar) for emission.
Low emmission valves often show low gain at higher frequencies(MW feint in this case).
These little sets often benefit from a cap change too, especially the waxies and hunts moldseals (if fitted). See how it performs with new caps.
Probably the only difference between your set and the MBQ is the valve heaters may be in series in the MBQ.
Good luck.
Tim
Old 31st Jul 2005, 7:17 am   #3
Neil Purling
Nonode

Well, i've seen it said in various sites that these little valves lead hard lives.
My set has the '91 series of valves.
I have changed nothing so far because I am having difficulty in getting high voltage capacitors locally. I will probably have to get them from a catalogue.
At least its easier getting valves.
Old 31st Jul 2005, 2:30 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Smile Re: Pye P31 Bq

Hi Neil
High Voltage? Seeing as this is a battery set with only 90 volts HT, 250(or even 160) volt working capacitors should be fine.

For any "standard" sets in the future RS components stock a good variety of axial polyester caps in 400v DC, and will now deal with mere mortals over the WWW
Tim
Old 1st Aug 2005, 4:31 pm   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

Tim,
Thank you for your information.
I changed the DF91 with another I had. Magic 1161 is making its expected offensive racket, causing me to turn the volume down sharpish.
Maplins in Hull doesnt have any capacitor rated at more than 100V.
The Pye may benefit from changing capacitors but if the thing sounds decent I am tempted to leave well alone.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 5:18 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling
I have just got one of these from Ebay. The little push on-off switch fell apart when I tried to free it. I have used a minature DPDT switch.
NO, PLEASE DONT BURN ME AT THE STAKE!!
Neil,
It's your radio, if you're happy with that switch that's all that counts
Some people are more keen on authenticity than others, but for an average radio it makes little difference. In their heyday all sorts of work-arounds were employed as the need arose. Might be different for a more valuable set.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 7:39 pm   #7
Neil Purling
Nonode

I do not know if they Pye P31BQ is a especially common set.
However the original switch fell apart on me as I was trying to clean it out.
So what do you do in that situation?
If we are talking about something thatwas really common then a few necessary changes are quite acceptable, whether it be a 'fifties 'woodie' table radio or a 'vanity case' portable.
The Pye looks to be early fifties and is a quite stylish effort, makes a Vidor Lady Margret look pretty naff.
Don't you think that style wise things went backwards in the design of portables as the decade progressed?
I bid for the Pye because I liked the styling of the case front.
It sounds rather louder than the power rating of the DL9* valves might suggest. The Celestion speaker surely helps.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 7:50 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling
However the original switch fell apart on me as I was trying to clean it out.
So what do you do in that situation?
You can do whatever you want

But some radio collector in the distant future will be much happier with you if your make any modifications reversible.

Nick.
Old 1st Aug 2005, 7:56 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

Neil,
If you do want to fit the correct switch, you will need to post a request for a replacement. Someone will probably have one as they were a fairly common set.
Closed Thread