UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2019, 1:44 pm   #1
ZolieZolie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Zenith Allegro - How Reattach Tone Arm?

Hello,

I Just got a Zenith Allegro in pristine condition. I brought it home & started playing records. It worked PERFECTLY..until I twisted the little screw at the back end of the tone arm. Well, this is went it all went haywire. The tonearm kept trying to lift up & out of it's rest, it could not move over, etc... which resulted in me turning it back & forth to get it back to it's original position. And, then...it happened....it came off. I am so mad at myself. I started looking up how to fix it but was so frustrated I stepped away from it.

I have attached pictures. I have researched/read forums/ and have googled for the last 4 days.
Here is what I am having a problem with: I can't get the tone arm pivot screw (i think that is what it is called) to engage with the bar. The screw has the point on it (not broken). How do I align the bar into the holes on each end & get the screw to grab onto the bar & then turn?

Is there a special trick? I would then attach the spring after?

I am so mad at myself.

Thank you all so much in advance. I have been using this forum for years but this is my first time posting.

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LISA EDIT BSR TONEARM SPRING.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	188363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6107.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	188364  
Old 15th Aug 2019, 7:08 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Zenith Allegro - How Reattach Tone Arm?

This looks like a British made BSR C series autochanger. I think it may be a C141 model. You will find the actual model number on a red label on the deckplate underside. You should then be able to search out a Service Manual to help you dismantle and reassemble as needed.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 11:03 pm   #3
ZolieZolie
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the info! I downloaded & reviewed the service manual. Argh - I am still kind of stuck b/c I can't get the pivot screw to catch onto the bar, etc...

Any tips?

I appreciate your help.

Lisa
Old 15th Aug 2019, 11:26 pm   #4
ZolieZolie
Retired Dormant Member

WOOHOOO! I did it! I got it reattached. The arm gets stuck & won't move over to the record (it tries....) but I am too scared to try & adjust it. I am happy I got the dang thing back on. The arm moves back to it's resting place...it just can't get over.

But, I am happy for now...

THANK YOU AGAIN
Old 16th Aug 2019, 8:34 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Many of the problems with BSR (and other makes) of Autochange record player are due to hardened grease in the mechanism.. There is a 'sticky' thread at the head of this section which deals with servicing autochangers. This explains in some detail what needs to be done. In the case of the arm not moving over the record it may be due to the Cam Gear and Trip pawl assembly being gummed up. These parts are located under the platter, which can be lifted off after removing a circlip at the base of the spindle.
Closed Thread