UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2019, 10:55 pm   #1
hi_its_me
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pioneer PL-X11Z grounding

Hi,

I recovered an old Pioneer PL-X11Z turntable.

The TT was originally part of a full hifi system, with power for the TT supplied through the main hifi deck. The hifi deck got lost somewhere. So I got a DC power adaptor instead to power up the TT.

However, there is a very loud humming noise whenever I turn on the TT.
I checked the circuits, and it turns out that the negative power cable is also the ground. I suppose the original hifi deck dealt with this somehow, but since I am connecting the TT directly to a power adaptor now, I have no idea how to get rid of the humming sound...

Any ideas?
Old 15th Aug 2019, 8:54 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pioneer PL-X11Z grounding

What I did once, with a Pioneer deck of a different model, but which was originally part of a system, was to remove the base of the record deck and fit an earth wire to the metal base plate, routed this wire out through the back of the deck, then connected the free end of this wire to the metal chassis of the amplifier with which the deck was to be used. 99% of separate turntables are earthed in this way, and most amplifiers with a magnetic cartridge input have a screw terminal for this purpose near the i/p sockets. Th wire used doesn't have to be anything special-just a length of stranded connecting wire will suffice.
Closed Thread