UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2019, 5:27 pm   #1
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Old TV, new insides.

I was in Carnforth yesterday on a trip to Lancaster to see my son at University and went into a second hand bookshop, I was looking through the Radio and TV section and got talking to the assistant about restoring vintage equipment.
At which point he nipped off to a store room and produced an old TV and asked if it was any use and what he should do with it.
From the front I got quite excited, but it was a different story looking in the back. Clearly someone has fitted a "modern" 625 line chassis and tube into the case. The original insides are presumed lost.
I took photos and promised to post them on this forum and send him the link.
Does anyone recognise the chassis, my knowledge is not sufficient I am afraid.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190525_151613 (Large).jpg
Views:	456
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	183914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190525_151553 (Large).jpg
Views:	440
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	183915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190525_151649 (Large).jpg
Views:	411
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	183916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190525_151656 (Large).jpg
Views:	406
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	183917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190525_151559 (Large).jpg
Views:	341
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	183918  

Old 26th May 2019, 5:28 pm   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Old TV, new insides.

Sorry, I forgot, its badged BUSH.
Peter
Old 26th May 2019, 5:47 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Props hire companies used to do this sort of thing all the time. It simplifies providing a signal and improves reliability. Apparently an original mono display also has the wrong colour balance on film or video.

There's less interest in sourcing these Frankenmodels now because it's become much easier and cheaper to overlay a convincing picture digitally in post production.
Old 26th May 2019, 6:10 pm   #4
Clydeuk
Hexode

The chassis looks familiar, particularly the tuner. It looks similar to the Hinari sets we used to get in for repair in the late 80's and early 90's. I can't remember the model numbers of the regular sets apart from the white TVA1 which had a clock on the front and was described as a "wake up TV". The same chassis was used in various 14 inch and 20 inch models.

Fairly reliable apart from the line output transformer (a newer type was fitted to later sets that was a bit better). The portables gave a good picture, the larger sets less so.
Old 26th May 2019, 7:02 pm   #5
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Thanks, what vintage is the original set?

Peter
Old 26th May 2019, 7:37 pm   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

If I'm not mistaken, that's a TV43 from the mid-50's. The chassis looks a bit like an 80's SHARP to me, but by that time they all looked rather similar.
Old 26th May 2019, 8:02 pm   #7
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Thanks everyone, I'll send Niel the link to this thread.
Peter
Old 26th May 2019, 10:56 pm   #8
Richard_FM
Octode

The Samsung CRT might help to find where the chassis is from.

I've heard of 405 line prop TVs being fitted with 625 innards because it's much easier to source an input.
Old 26th May 2019, 11:44 pm   #9
radiograham
Hexode

Sadly i saw a Bush tv22 a short time ago that someone had done the same to,quite spoilt my day.
Old 27th May 2019, 8:53 am   #10
simpsons
Octode

Unless I'm mistaken, not only are the original insides missing, now replaced with a colour chassis, but so is the loudspeaker or any loudspeaker.

Notwithstanding that often television and film maker show colour pictures on black and white televisions, a recent BBC 2 series ( or was it BBC Four?) showing a GEC 2019 displaying a perfect coloured picture is one example, highlighting a 50's 14" Bush TV in colour should be seen as yet just another triumph for British design.
Old 27th May 2019, 9:46 am   #11
Simon Gittins
Heptode

The speaker is lying on its back behind the tuner, perhaps it fell off the front panel!
Old 27th May 2019, 11:40 am   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's one of those generic late Eighties/early Nineties Hinari chassis, I think. Nothing to get too excited about. Wonder if it was transplanted complete with dust? Seems a strange thing to do as the cabinet looks quite battered - also it doesn't have a SCART socket, which suggests this was for a private user. If this was your business, it would have been easier to source a better candidate, though perhaps I'm relieved they didn't!
Incidentally, the film Rocketman has a period ITT VC200 TV proudly displaying a colour picture...
Old 27th May 2019, 3:22 pm   #13
slidertogrid
Octode

I have seen a few sets "converted" like this. To be honest I did a similar thing in the 1990's before I knew any better..
In my defence the set was incomplete with a broken Tube and was about to go to the tip so I don't feel too guilty.
I used a 10" Hitachi portable as the donor which at the time was a fairly old set its self.
The Franken set was given to a friend who used it for years in a Period setting in his lounge.

I saw a Bakelite Bush in the London Science Museum displaying information films some years back I suppose it would have been unsafe to leave an original set running like that. I hoped that they had kept the original tube and chassis so it could be restored to original once the exhibition was over...

A worse crime was that they had chopped the neck off the tube in the Thorn 2000 that they have had on display for years, apparently to get it to fit the glass display case...
Rich.
Link to thread showing the converted Bush.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=49993

Last edited by slidertogrid; 27th May 2019 at 3:31 pm. Reason: added link
Closed Thread