UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2015, 7:34 pm   #1
Timvintage
Pentode

Default Specific question about transfering tapes.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can help?
Basically I need to transfer some cassettes and reel to reel tapes to the computer, for myself and for other people. I know how to do this, however I have one computer related question.

When I have done this in the past, I have just used an ordinary run-of-the-mill pc or laptop, and results have been ok. Last march I bought an apple mackbook pro, with the idea that it would be much better in the home recording studio that me and my partner are setting up. The problem is, I haven't really learnt to use it yet! My question is, for transfering tapes, will the audio be any better when processed through the mackbook, or am I ok using an ordinary laptop? In either case, I will be using a beringer USB interface thingy, which plugs directly into the USB of the computer, and has RCA sockets on it to plug the tape deck. Neither the mack or the laptop have a line-in socket, so either way I guess I am bypassing the internal soundcard? If so, will the spec of the computer make a difference to the sound or not?

Hope that makes sense!
Tim
Old 19th Nov 2015, 8:00 pm   #2
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Re: spacific question about transfering tapes

Once the audio has been digitised by the Behringer USB interface, it makes no difference what the computer is. I would try to save the file as a .WAV as there is no compression or processing taking place and you get the best quality.

Malcolm
Old 19th Nov 2015, 8:19 pm   #3
Timvintage
Pentode

Thanks so much for that, Malcolm. I thought that was right, but wanted to check! So I guess the only variable then is the quality of the conversion done by the interface. And of course the quality of the tape deck!
Old 19th Nov 2015, 8:37 pm   #4
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I use the Behringer devices for sound effects with plays. Their quality is very good. I've also copied some old vinyl to PC using one and can't tell the difference.

Malcolm
Old 19th Nov 2015, 8:37 pm   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

One minor snag I have encountered a few times with this kind of setup is background noise, caused by digital ground noise emanating from the laptop. This applies mainly if you are using tape decks or other devices that have a mains earth, as a ground loop can form via the laptop DC power adaptor cable and USB cable ground that can inject noisy DC onto the audio ground. The Mac should not cause this problem as most genuine Apple Macbook PSUs have a 1k resistor between DC- and mains earth, but I can't vouch for the PC adaptor.

This (unlikely) problem notwithstanding, using the interface should give you cleaner results than a line input direct to a motherboard audio chipset.
Old 20th Nov 2015, 7:32 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Specific question about transfering tapes.

Nothing downstream of the A-to-D converter is going to influence the sound. It's all just copying lists of numbers from then on!

The most important thing is for the analogue and digital grounds only to be joined at one point, to keep digital noise away from the analogue signals.
Old 20th Nov 2015, 5:06 pm   #7
Restoration73
Nonode

These work well
http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-in...s/scarlett-2i2
Old 20th Nov 2015, 6:02 pm   #8

Quote:
Nothing downstream of the A-to-D converter is going to influence the sound. It's all just copying lists of numbers from then on!
Unless (as said above) compression is used, storage is so cheap these days keep it uncompressed. Take 20 minutes of a record (one side) at 44kbs and 16 bits that is about 100MB, a 32 GB memory stick is a fiver or so, 5p a side!

Old 23rd Nov 2015, 4:12 pm   #9
Timvintage
Pentode

Hi everyone, sorry for late reply to this; have been quite busy this weekend, partly converting audio!

Thanks for all the advice; I tried it with my ordinary laptop and it worked absolutely fine; luckilly I had no earth hum or anything so that was good.

Yes, I hate the compressed mp3 sound! I always save as a wav file. For the last conversion I did, I saved in flac, as that was more convenient for the person I was doing it for. Flac is also a lossless audio format, but takes up less space than wav.

Thanks everyone!
Closed Thread